2nd Plaster coat..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finished my first practice at skimming plaster. I have layed on about 3mm thick of skim and it's not too bad. I just need to go over with another layer to remove the imperfections.

When I do the 2nd coat do i need to dampen the 1st coat or just slap straight on? :confused:

Any tips for getting the best finnish? I know it takes years to learn but I can have a bash first before needing to call in the professionals! :LOL:

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
always apply two coats of skimming, minimum.

the first coat is generally a slave coat and serves two purposes.

it helps deal with most of the initial suction from the substrate and takes the humps and hollows out too.

once this first coat firms up, it can be flattened.

it is directly after the flattening process that you apply the second coat.

this way the suction of the second coat is controlled, plus there is still some pliability within the surface of the first coat. this leaves you with more time to perfect the finish.

if you have allowed it to dry out completely then you will need to use diluted pva.

Sponsored Links
cool, still seems quite damp so should be ok.

I know i should really leave it to the pro's but i just wanted to have a go.. doesn't seem too bad for my first attempt.

How is flattening done?

flattening is a way of levelling out trowel marks without actually 'trowelling up'.

by flattening, you only compress the surface slightly allowing a decent key for the second coat. not too many trowel passes are needed for this process.

when trowelling up or polishing, the surface is trowelled many times and with gusto. the end product is a tight grained smooth paintable surface.

After last nights attempt I think i should quit trying and get a pro in :(

Just seems like way too much work and the result isn't exactly great. I kind off expected it tho! Would be fine if i was going to paper over but we are looking to paint and i just know it's going to look crap!

Any one here live or work around the midlands area (leamington spa) that fancies a small project? If so can you pm me?

For a room that's around 17' x 14' how much do you think it'll cost?

Cheers for all your help.. much respect for all the professionals out there.. it's a blooming difficult job!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back