2nd Render Coat scratched or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I removed all my existing plaster and render all the way down to bare brick in my bedroom and I am going to add 2 coats of render and 2 coats of multi finish plaster. I have put on a 1st coat of render last weekend with a damp-proofing agent in it (renderguard gold).

Now reading on this forum somewhere I read that on that first coat you needed to make a series of lines with a tool so that when I put the 2nd coat it helps them to stick together better. I did this and now the 1st coat is just about dry so this weekend I am going to put on the 2nd render coat without the renderguard in it, my question is this do I also put the lines in the 2nd coat or do I need to leave the 2nd render coat smooth ready for the plaster to go onto?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You will need to 'devil' the second coat.

Using a wooden or fibreglass float to flatten the surface after it is ruled off/filled/ruled off.

The float should have four or five screws thru it .Drywall screws are good,but not vital.

IMHO better than nails as they are more easily adjustable and don't move round and make the hole bigger over time, but nails are okay.

Along the top edge, evenly spaced in a line about an inch or so from the end. Adjust them so that they are just sticking out on the underside of the float, (ie the surface that touches the wall) so that when you move the float around, you are scoring the surface of the render.

You'll have to time this so that the render is not so wet that you are dragging it and sticking to it, or so dry you are making dust out of the top of it.

Figyre of 8 is good to practice. but not vital

Not deep lines, just get a plastic float and screw some drywall screws through the corners so they protrude about an eighth and rub up the wall in a circular motion to create a key.

i would put an integral waterproofer in the top coat it just means you dnt have to pva it wen you come to skim it just simply wet the wall down a bit and skim, cheaper than buying pva and quicker than waiting for the pva to dry as you will need 2 coats of pva at least and the second coat tends to hang around a bit,
sorry just realised ive rambled a bit so ill simplify it down.
put water proofer in the top coat, then wen you come to skim you only need one quick coat of water to kill the suction, as opposed to 2 coats of pva which will cost precious £s and you already have the water proofer on the job.

Sponsored Links
agree with steve i dnt know what the measurement of the screws are on my devil float but they only just petrude, think of it as enough that if you ran your fingers over it they would cut and not snagg haha.

I am in an argumentative mood tonight (Sorry lads but I have'nt been out drinkin' for a while, till tonight ) and I recon that an eighth of an inch for the screws will be fine!!you will only get grinning if the top coat is too thick or you go on it too soon..) Answers on a postcard to this address,,,,No 10 Downin'......... ;)

I am in an argumentative mood tonight (Sorry lads but I have'nt been out drinkin' for a while, till tonight ) and I recon that an eighth of an inch for the screws will be fine!!you will only get grinning if the top coat is too thick or you go on it too soon..) Answers on a postcard to this address,,,,No 10 Downin'......... ;)
to no 10 downing st always thought that grinning arrises from deep devil scratches and the top coat being to "THIN" hope u havent got a hangover mr cameron :)

ive found it doesnt really matter how thick you put the coat on, if youve put deep grooves behind it you will always get grining, it will feel nice and smooth still cos were all good plasterers ;) but it wnt look very nice for the untrained eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back