3/4 old water main

S

Simonbeasley1

I need to cut the above pipe and connect 25mm MDPE pipe to it. I have no room to re-thread the 3/4 water main. I have tried digging to find the knuckle to remove and convert to 25mm but just can't dig far enough to locate.

Are their any fittings that will enable me to cut the metal 3/4 pipe with the use of a grinder and then attach the MDPE.

many thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
Is this lead or galvanised pipe you're talking about? If the latter you might have a rusting problem if you cut the end off.

The Philmac will fit virtually anything, and not worry about a few pits.

Just choose a good bit and cut it off.

If you do it underwater, you don't even need to turn the water off :evil:

Sponsored Links
its not lead so would that mean its galvanised. what other metals can it be?

if it is galvanised can i coat the cut pipe with something?

If a magnet will stick to it it's galvanised. I've seen a pipe like this cut and forced into a 22mm compression fitting. The corrosion wasn't pretty.

In answer to your question - dunno. Does doitall have any ideas.

The best plan is to go back to the last union and join it with an iron to copper connector. Even better replace the whole main back to the stop-cock. God knows why they ever used this stuff for mains. As ever, cheapness, I suppose.

It`ll be rusty enough inside to not worry about the cut end :idea: If the rest of the house ,and particularly the electrics are as archaic then make sure the pipe isn`t still an old electrical earth. :eek: I`d have the house Off @ the main fuseboard and cut the pipe with a hacksaw. P.S. I prayed, and god told me that if a house was plumbed totally in galv. and lead tails, then a galv. main wouldn`t cause corrosion. A copper one would, and He says, Hello to Legion

No harm in giving it a coat of red oxide or galvanize.

Much depends on the condition when you have it exposed, but denso tape would be an idea for the exposed steel pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back