3 armed light earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was checking this 3 armed light fitting my wife bought, it appears each taped joint has 3 wires from the lamp holders and a wire to the power, the left hand one has an extra thicker wire which I don't understand, Would it be better cutting this wire and attaching to the metal to form an earth?
The car boot seller said it originated from France.
Thanks

Attachments

• abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
Can't actually see in the picture where the black wire goes. Does it go 'up the tube' with the two brown wires?

If so, what is at the other end? Just the three loose wires?

Yes, sorry yes it does, so at the top end there is a double wire and that thicker black one, so I'm not sure if the black should be treated as an earth

Attachments

• aaaaa.jpg
    aaaaa.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 53
Well, presumably the light being metal should have an earth so the answer is yes.

However, a green and yellow wire should really be used.

I can't see a reason why the black wire would be connected to the browns.

Sponsored Links
Well, presumably the light being metal should have an earth so the answer is yes.

However, a green and yellow wire should really be used.

I can't see a reason why the black wire would be connected to the browns.
Maybe in line with French regulations

Les anciennes couleurs de câblage
ConducteurNouvelle couleurAncienne couleur
PhaseMarron ou RougeVert
NeutreBleuRouge
TerreJaune / VertGris ou blanc
Navette de phase entre interrupteursNoirNoir

Les anciennes couleurs de câblage
ConducteurNouvelle couleurAncienne couleur
PhaseMarron ou RougeVert
NeutreBleuRouge
TerreJaune / VertGris ou blanc
Navette de phase entre interrupteursNoirNoir
I have to agree that in my limited experience of working in France; strappers and switched line are normally purple or orange

In Deutschland in den alten Zeit war der Erdleitung mit Roten draht verdrahtig
Bis zur Harmonisierung war es auch in weiten Teilen Europas üblich

In the Madeira hotel I was a little surprised to see their round T&E brown/blue with red sleeved earth.

Why so alarmed?
Green was a phase colour in good old blighty
Bis zur Harmonisierung war es auch in weiten Teilen Europas üblich

In the Madeira hotel I was a little surprised to see their round T&E brown/blue with red sleeved earth.
The information contained in these "responses" is not widely "known" - in other countries.
It would be a "good idea" if this "information" were to be posted more widely.

While the "Encyclopedia Britannica" may have had its day, "Wikipedia" exists and can be added to and edited by anyone.
These "edits" are subject to "peer review" and can then be edited, by others.

The most relevant Wikipedia page relating to this matter seems to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring

Therefore, I invite any and all of you who read this to comment and amend the historical "information" contained within this "source", or any other relevant "source".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back