3 core 2 gang 2 way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse my long winded explanation
Can you help me?
At present I have a 2 gang switch that operates 2 lights 1 way this is wired from the JB with one 3 core wire as follows

Light 1
red connects to yellow from switch cable
black to common

light2
red connects to blue from switch cable
black to common

3 core switch cable connects to switch 1
gang 1

red to common
blue to L1

gang2
yellow to L2
red to common a loop taken from common in gang 1

Can I make this 2 way by using only one 3 core strapping cable and wire it as follows

Original 3 core switch cable to switch 1

gang1
red to L2
blue toL2
strapping cable red to common

gang 2
yellow to L2
red to L1 taken as loop from L1 gang 1 to L1 gang 2
red from strapping cable taken as loop from common in gang 1

switch 2

gang 1
blue from strapping cable to L2
red from strap to common
yellow to L1 taken as loop from L1 in gang 2 PROBLEM ?
gang 2
yellow to L1
red to common as loop from common in gang 1 PROBLEM ?blue to L2 as loop from L2 in gang 1 PROBLEM?if this would not work can you correct me where I am wrong or suggest how I might do it with 2 cables but keeping original switch cable as one 3 core.

Sorry!
To make it simpler I have 2 lights cables running to a JB from there a 3 core switch cable runs to one 2 gang switch where it is wired for 1 way switching (by a red live loop from one gang to the other gang.)
What I want to know is if I can make these 2 light switches into 2 way switches instead of 1 way switches by using one 3 core strapping cable going from switch 1 to the new switch 2. Or do I need to use two 3 core strapping cables.
If I can use one strapping cable can you explain the wiring.
Thanks

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you installing an ADDITIONAL 3 core from one switch to the other?

Sponsored Links
Sorry!
To make it simpler I have 2 lights cables running to a JB from there a 3 core switch cable runs to one 2 gang switch where it is wired for 1 way switching (by a red live loop from one gang to the other gang.)
What I want to know is if I can make these 2 light switches into 2 way switches instead of 1 way switches by using one 3 core strapping cable going from switch 1 to the new switch 2. Or do I need to use two 3 core strapping cables.
If I can use one strapping cable can you explain the wiring.
Thanks

2 3core & earth cables will be required, see for refernce for how its done

well one twin and earth cable and one three and earth cable would be sufficiant but it is probablly easier to treat the two way switing for each light seperately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back