3 core t&e

Sponsored Links
1mm is completly against regs, infact it was outlawed in 2009 along with the ring main for plugs.

Sponsored Links
I hate people referring to "3-core T&E". The clue is in the name. If the cable has 3 cores for live conductors plus a cpc then how can it be a TWIN & Earth cable?

Twin = two.

I hate people referring to "3-core T&E". The clue is in the name. If the cable has 3 cores for live conductors plus a cpc then how can it be a TWIN & Earth cable?

Twin = two.
T is also the first letter of both three and triple...

ie.gif

I have never heard three-core and earth referred to as "three and earth". Nor would it explain the "3-core T&E" expression used.

All academic as everyone knows that T&E stands for twin and earth.

Triple and earth seems to be recognised by the chaps at the trade counters.

But not always by the shelf fillers in the sheds

1.5mm seemed to be the standard for all lighting in the 80's. 90's and part 00's.

Back in those days energy wasn't much of a bother cost wise, and 100w lamps were everywhere. Some circuits needed 10 amp fuses due to the dreaded GU10's and high volumes of rooms with 500w of lighting.

Since the es lamps, led's and varients of sub 20w fittings and lights you could argue that seldom will anything more than a 6 amp 1mm TE lighting circuit be pushed anywhere near capacity.

Thing is lighting does change. One day a 60w builb, the next day a 10 bulb fitting.

If in doubt and to design in some future proofing 1.5mm was the norm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back