using 1 core of T+E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to provide an additional core to my central heating controller (for a separate hot water signal). I have some 1.5mm2 T+E, but obviously only need to use of of the two cores. What should I do with the second core? Should I cut it off and wrap insulation tape around the end, or use it in parallel to the first core, ie double it up?

I know that I could either replace the T+E with 3+E of install a double insulated single core, but I was hoping to use what I already had.

Thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
I presume you are just providing a switched live through the second T&E.

If so the connect the brown as your switched live, earth as earth, then the unused blue should also be connected to earth, to prevent any voltage being induced onto that core of the cable.

I would just put a chock block on either end of the unused core.

Earthing it down is only a requirmement (or actually a recommendation?) for explosive environments - multi cores to petrol pumps etc.....although these days they use fibre for the pumps anyway (except the actual pump!)

Sponsored Links
It is a switched live only. Will see what I have the space to do in the junction box.
Great, thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back