3 gang dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps. I have problem. My decorators disconnected my 3gang switch and did not note how it was connected.
I will try to explain :
It is in the sitting room
1) Two wall lights - switched by one switch
2) First ceiling light - switched by one switch
3) Second ceiling light - switched by one switch
4) I have four three core cables(twins and earth) coming out of box.
Could please tell me how should i wire 3 gang dimmer switch?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
there are serveral ways this could be done.

are any of the wires currently joined with terminal block in the backbox?

is there any chance of a picture or diagram of the wiring inside the light fittings?

Thank you for reply plugwash.
1) First ceiling light has two core and earth cable (no celing rose)
2)Second ceiling light has the same
3)first wall light has two core and earth cable
4)second wall light has 2 two core and earth cables
Nothing is joined at the moment but i asume it was. (the electrican who was doing it is ill probably at the hospital.i can not get through to him)
Any ideas?
THank you

i think one cable is brinding power in and 3 taking it out (one two each of the ceiling lights and one to the pair of wall lights

first you need to determine which wire is bringing power in. if you don't have any test equipment handy the easiest way to do this is probablly to stick a simple lampholder on each of the cables then turn the power on and see which one lights up

once you know which one is bringing power in connect as follows

all blacks together in a chock block
red from cable carryinhg incoming power to all coms (use short peices of wire to carry it from one terminal to the next)
the 3 reds from the other wires to the 3 L2 terminals
all earths together

Sponsored Links
Thank you plugwash i will try it tomorrow (have to go to work now)

So you can't work out what's going on with the wires to a dimmer switch, and yet a few months ago you got all bent out of shape and abusive because a number of people here suggested that you weren't knowledgeable enough to do a complete house rewire and CU replacement.

Hmmm.....

i don't see why people think a rewire is hard.

time consuming yes but i don't see how its any more difficult than doing the involved jobs seperately.

what is hard is figuring out what the last guy did especially with lighting cuircuits.

I have nothing to say for you ban-all-sheds. Every one knows how arguementative you are!

Thank you very much plugwash. It is sorted but i have another question. If i have metal switch box with earth terminal and metal fancy switch plate where should i put earth cables?(in the box or switch plate)

Put incoming earths into metal box but attach "fancy metal switchplate" to the same point as well (if you're lucky you'll have two earth points in the metal box to make life a lot easier).

romchik said:
I have nothing to say for you ban-all-sheds. Every one knows how arguementative you are!
As I recall it as you who was arguing, and not just with me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back