3 gang or 2 gang sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning on installing several 3 gang sockets in our living / dining room. They have integral 13amp fuses.

I am wondering-

- Why do the 3g sockets have fuses and the 2g dont?

- Do 3g sockets have a smaller load capacity?

- I assume most domestic appliances would not trip a 13amp fuse, for example having a flatscreen TV, dvd player and freeview receiver in to the same 3g socket would be fine?

- As part of a ring can I put 3 x 3g sockets in a row behind the TV unit? Is there any reason why this would not be advised or why 2g sockets are better?

Thanks all for your time.

Sponsored Links
Because it is possible to plug in too high a load i.e. 3x13A.
- Do 3g sockets have a smaller load capacity?
No, the same.
- I assume most domestic appliances would not trip a 13amp fuse, for example having a flatscreen TV, dvd player and freeview receiver in to the same 3g socket would be fine?
Yes, but not a washing machine, kettle and vacuum cleaner.
- As part of a ring can I put 3 x 3g sockets in a row behind the TV
I suppose so but wouldn't it be better just to use extension lead(s) and tuck them out of the way?
Is there any reason why this would not be advised or why 2g sockets are better?
No, it could be argued that 2g might be less safe but with small loads like you have mentioned it doesn't really matter.

EFLImpudence";p="1945987 said:
Because it is possible to plug in too high a load i.e. 3x13A.
- Do 3g sockets have a smaller load capacityNo, the same.?

Wrong

A 2 g socket in theory copes with 2 x 13A loads (if that's the fuse rating in each plug. A 3 g has a max load of 13A via it's in built fuse

- I assume most domestic appliances would not trip a 13amp fuse, for example having a flatscreen TV, dvd player and freeview receiver in to the same 3g socket would be fineYes, but not a washing machine, kettle and vacuum cleaner.?

I'd suggest you use the wattage of the item being used divide by 230v to get the amp load

- As part of a ring can I put 3 x 3g sockets in a row behind the TVI suppose so but wouldn't it be better just to use extension lead(s) and tuck them out of the way?

Why would anyone need 9 x socket position behind a TV ?

Is there any reason why this would not be advised or why 2g sockets are better?

As mentioned before 3g have a limit of 13A or 13 x 230v Approx 3000

No, it could be argued that 2g might be less safe but with small loads like you have mentioned it doesn't really matter.

Sponsored Links
Wrong
A 2 g socket in theory copes with 2 x 13A loads (if that's the fuse rating in each plug. A 3 g has a max load of 13A via it's in built fuse
There have been numerous discussions about the rating of 2g but the materials from which 2g and 3g sockets are made are the same therefore, without the fuse, the rating of both is the same.

Thanks all for posts. I am a bit concerned that this in built fuse is going to cause me problems. Does anybody have experience with them? I assumed that if I overload a 3g socket it would blow the in built 13amp fuse, but then again I also assumed that if I overloaded a standard 2g socket it would blow the switch in the consumer unit for the whole ring. (I thought that the overload point would be the same - at 13amp - on both the 2g and 3g sockets). Then again I have, in the past, had over 15 items all running from one socket on the wall and it worked fine. Would that still work on a 3g socket with the in built fuse? Am I going to be limiting myself by putting these sockets in?

In regard to why I need/want 9 points behind the TV;

- TV
- Freeview recorder
- DVD
- Phone
- Router
- Modem

That only leaves 3 spaces which wouldnt be hard to fill if we bought a games machine, or when Christmas comes with lights etc.

I have a fully-loaded 8-way extension behind my TV stuff, 13A fuse, no problem at all with those sort of very low power devices.

if you add up all the wattage, it won't come anywhere near 3 kW.

Thanks for that link. I may scale back my plans for 9 sockets though I am still worried that I could overload a socket. I know most items use very little electric but obviously things like the dyson will be plugged in every now and then and I am worried I am going to end up being scared to plug some items in incase I blow the internal fuse!

It would be advisable to plug your vacuum cleaner into another socket but other than that you are worrying unnecessarily.

You cannot overload the 3g socket because of the 13A fuse. That's why I suggested that they mght be more safe than the 2g.

I have a big old CRT television and that is only 170watts. I would need eighteen of these to get to 13A.

Ah OK, the last bit about your TV puts it in to perspective. I'm just worrying that I am going to be getting through alot of 13amp fuses thats all!

I just assumed you could overload a 2g socket without tripping the switch in the CU whereas with this the fuse would just blow which could be frustrating if this fuse would blow with a lesser load than the CU switch would flick off at on a 2g socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back