3 lights - triple switch but 1 rocker ‘upside down’

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere as I have looked. I’m pretty useless at DIY but always found the site helpful (though haven’t signed up until now).

Have had an extension built and whilst the lights are all wired up, on a triple switch (that controls 3 separate lights) 2 of the switches are ‘down’ to turn on, whilst the other is opposite and ‘down’ is off. More of an annoyance than anything but hopefully a relatively straightforward fix, though I wouldn’t be here if it was as simple as I expected...

Can anyone assist? The backplate has the following:

Com - L2 - L1 - Com

L2 - L1 - Com - L2 - L1

Currently there are 5 wires from the wall, into Left Com U, L1 U, Right Com U, Left L2 L and Right L1 L. Also there are 2 wires connecting both of the Com U to Com L.

Sorry for the poor terminology/ description but I am pretty clueless so hopefully it can be followed. Is what I want possible (it’s the right hand switch that is incorrect), though that’s left hand I suppose if viewed from the backplate.

Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Swap the wire from L1 to L2 (or vice-versa) on the switch that doesn't work as it should.

Don't think of it as two rows of terminals, but three triangles, each switch has a com, L1 and L2. The Com on the bottom row, and the L1 and L2 on the top row belong to the middle switch, if you picture a triangle drawn round them, you can see where the other triangles for the side switches are

Fantastic, you won’t be surprised to hear that this has done the trick, but the explanation was great too (and makes me look a bit lazy for not reading up more).

Even better is that moving that wire to a more central position made it easier to screw the switch back onto the wall...which probably shows my level of DIY :D

Currently there are 5 wires from the wall, into Left Com U, L1 U, Right Com U, Left L2 L and Right L1 L. Also there are 2 wires connecting both of the Com U to Com L.

Excuse me for being ignorant.
I know you have it sorted well done, but i could not understand the above.
Are any 2 way , ie works from another position switch as well. as operating a second position switch would make that first switch upside down

Sponsored Links
Excuse me for being ignorant.
I know you have it sorted well done, but i could not understand the above.
Are any 2 way , ie works from another position switch as well. as operating a second position switch would make that first switch upside down

Took me a while, but he's got cores going into
Left Com U, L1 U, Right Com U, Left L2 L and Right L1 L. Also there are 2 wires connecting both of the Com U to Com L.

Switch A - Common - The left hand common on the upper row (Left Com U)
Switch B -L1 - The L1 on the upper row (L1 U)
Switch C - Common - The right hand common on the upper row (Right Com U)
Switch A - L2 - The left hand L2 on the bottom row (Left L2 L)
Switch C - L1 - The right most L1 on the bottom row (Right L1 L)

Then hes got two jumpers linking the commons for Switch A and C - Both of the commons on the top row (Com U) to common for switch B - Bottom row common (Com L)

....Im fluent in confusion :p

So no, none of them two-way

Took me a while, but he's got cores going into
Left Com U, L1 U, Right Com U, Left L2 L and Right L1 L. Also there are 2 wires connecting both of the Com U to Com L.

Switch A - Common - The left hand common on the upper row (Left Com U)
Switch B -L1 - The L1 on the upper row (L1 U)
Switch C - Common - The right hand common on the upper row (Right Com U)
Switch A - L2 - The left hand L2 on the bottom row (Left L2 L)
Switch C - L1 - The right most L1 on the bottom row (Right L1 L)

Then hes got two jumpers linking the commons for Switch A and C - Both of the commons on the top row (Com U) to common for switch B - Bottom row common (Com L)

....Im fluent in confusion :p

So no, none of them two-way

That’s what I said isn’t it?:sneaky:

But yes, 3 switches all independent of each other operating different lights and none of them 2-way. Fortunately someone was able to translate my nonsense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back