3 Phase and RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have moved to a house with a 3 phase supply with a Contactum 8 way board.

There are no RCD's for the ring mains and we want to add these how do you go about it as its obvious you can add to the 3 phase board, 4 circuits.

I have some MK Tybe B MCBs and need to add a couple of circuits, can these be used.

I know the additions will need to be signed off.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
1. To add RCD protection to a residential 3 phase for the ring mains.

2. to add 2 additional circuits using MK Tybe B MCB's

please dont take offence at this but you need a qualified spark to do this job.

it comes under part p.

also 3 phase really isnt a DIY job, the fact that your asking these questions shows to me that you need a spark who is used to three phase.

Sponsored Links
No offence taken.

I admit I dont know about 3 phase thats why I am asking. I have done a couple of rewires on single phase which have always been signed off at the first attempt.

The 3 phase is set up with all single phase MCBs. No 3 phase outlets fron the board.

I simply want to know how to add RCD protection to the ring mains and to know if my MK Type B MCBs that I have left over can be used in the spare slots.

The council have agreed to inspect for part p.

in that case,

can you not change the mcb's for the ring circuits for RCBO's ( john D will be happy ive mentioned them! :LOL: )

not sure about compatibility of mk and contacum, however you could just buy some contactum mcb's for your new circuits ( about 7 squid each!) ;)

You say you have a 3 phase supply, then refer to a Contactum 8 way board. This is a 1P board, not 3P...

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CMD08B.html

looks like contactum do a board with 8 three phase ways to me.

seriously though post some pictures of your setup, if you really do have a 3 phase board and want to add RCD protection to some cuicuits then RCBOs are your best bet. Wherever possible you should always stick to the same brand as the board and note that with some manufacturers (notablly MEM) the domestic MCBs won't fit the 3 phase boards.

You have to be ultra-careful that adjacent accessible accessories are not on two different phases, unless you have 400V warning stickers on them.

If they are just bog standard 1P breakers, replace them with bog standard 1P RCBO's.

NikNak, are you 100% sure you've got a 415V 3 phase supply and not just a linked out 3 phase distribution board?

Can you post some pic's because you may have a TT installation which means in some circumstances you can't use single pole RCBO's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back