3 Phase to Single

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been advised that we need to upgrade our domestic supply to 3 Phase by the Electrician.

We will have 8 Ring Mains, Immersion, Cooker and 2 Lutron homeworks Panels (with 52 light circuits)

Apparently we would need to feed one of each Phase to 1. A standard single Phase CU for the Rings and 1 Phase to each of the Lutron panels.

Is this correct and should it be done this way?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Wow, you have a big house then?!! :)

The lutron stuff is very impressive.

I'm sure a proper electrician will be along shortly to advise RE: 3 phase.

I'd love to see the system when completed, I have a bit of home intelligence myself, but clearly nothing on your scale (although I can use SMS to control quite a bit of my home's systems!)

Thanks
-Dan

The number of ring and light circuits can be a bit miss-leading. To help us could you let us know how many lights there will be on each of the 52 circuits and what type of lamp ie wattage.

Also, although 8 rings sounds a lot, what sort of areas will they be serving and what to you plan to plugin?

Do you have a lot of lights? how many, what wattages?
What is the floor area of your house?
What big kitchen appliances do you have? (range cooker, for example)
Do you have an electric shower?
Do you have any big loads than a normal household wouldn't?

Sponsored Links
It is best to balance as far as practicable your loading across the three phases. Putting all your ring final circuits on one phase although will avoid the risk of 415v between sockets, but may inadvertently cause a lot more load on that particular phase. It is possible to segregate areas i.e. floors etc onto different phases? I'm taking it the Lutron homeworks stuff is for lighting control? How much lighting, how many KW per panel and are they available in 3phase?

No idea about the lutron stuff, but they dont have to be available in 3 ophase, and why pay again if the op has them already. simple answer one / phase

Mat had 3 phase installed (up graded to) never paid a sausage, dno did it for free, i suggest the op ask them. (they do it free becuase the money they will be getting)

If the op has already got them, if the op hasn't already got them and they are available in 3phase it is an avenue worth investigating. I know some stage dimmer packs are single phase or 3phase configurable by means of changing links.

well is was so when my mate did it, the bill for the electricty used

The cost is very often at the descretion of the supplier - not the DNO. The dno will charge the supplier regardless.

It is different area to area - in many areas, the suppliers are not involved at all in the network alterations, and you must negotiate a price with the dno.

Each Light circuit will have between 4 and 6 50 watt LV lights

Sorry Rings was Misleading now I add them up but its as follows. Cinema and Cinema Equipment are separated due to the equipment.
Upstaris and Bed 1 split due to floor area/length of cable.

Rings/Radials are:
Kitchen
Main bedroom
Upstairs
Downstairs
Cinema Room
Cinema/Home Automation Equipment
Garage
Radial x 2 Immersions
Radial Cooker for 3 Oven + 1 Grill Range
Radial Fridge
Alarm Supply

Splitting loads over 3 phases in domestic propertys is not easy. Based on your projected loads, if it were me, rather than muck around with 3 phase I would up-rate the single phase supply. If your sparks designs the new installation with this in mind and you do start blowing your main fuse (unlikely with diversity) an up-grade to 120-150amps would be straight forward and relatively in-expensive compered with up-grading to 3 phase. Depending in your incomer, the DNO may just up-rate the fuse.

Dont ask them to uprate the supply or they will charge you, just tell them you have a power cut and then they are obliged to do it for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back