3 Phase split in to singles then back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently found out that in one of our DB's we have 3x 63A Single phase breakers supplying a 2nd DB which is a 3 phase unit. each breaker supplys Brown, Black and Grey phase to the 2nd DB.

Am i right in thinking this need to be replaced with a single 63A 3 phase breaker??

Sponsored Links
537.1.4 is the regulation. But although it refers to linked it is only for the isolation function and as far as I can see the only place where MCB's must be linked is 554.1 Electrode water heaters and boilers.

554.3.4 is only place where a fuse is not permitted.

There is a reference when using autotransformer 555.1.3 but as with 537.1.4 only where the braker is a switch/isolator as well as overload.

So unless the installation includes electrode water heaters and boilers then there is nothing to force you to use a linked MCB. You could use fuses if you wished which are of course not linked.

However good practice where non linked protection is used would be to include anti-single phase devices with every three phase motor and in real terms if any motors are used then one would normally use linked MCB's. But there is nothing to say you must.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back