3 Phase breaker trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a single phase welder which we want to connect to a 3 phase welding socket.

The socket has an integrated RCD and is wired back to a 3 phase breaker.

we have connected the welder across 2 phases but when we plug it in it immediately trips the breaker.

Do 3 phase breakers trip on phase imbalance as this is the only cause of tripping I can find, there are no earth faults and the welder doesn’t seem to be drawing too much current.

thanks I’m advance chaps.

Sponsored Links
It is an old 400v welder, I measured the resistance of the transformer primary at about 20 ohms so it should only be drawing about 8 amps and it’s a 63 amp breaker.

Sponsored Links
I agree about the inrush being a possibility but surely the resistance will lower than the impedance or have I got that wrong lol!

Do 3 phase breakers trip on phase imbalance.......

No, they don't. Three phase breakers are simply three single phase breakers mechanically coupled so that if one breakers decides to trip then they ALL trip.

There is no problem with a phase-phase load (or even a single phase load if a neutral exists) being supplied through a three-phase breaker.

You’re right chaps, my maths was a bit out!!!
Do you know if some breakers do trip on phase imbalance though?

something in the back of my mind tells me that such breakers do exist. I will check it on Monday once I can get the model number.

No. No circuit breaker will trip on phase imbalance. They operate on over current only. If you draw more than the rating of the device it will trip and that is it.

As has been said, number one thing to check is that the welder is definitely a 400V welder. If so then check the rating and type of the circuit breakers as inrush would be the number 2 cause.

As has been said, number one thing to check is that the welder is definitely a 400V welder. If so then check the rating and type of the circuit breakers as inrush would be the number 2 cause.
We've been told that it's a 63A breaker, but no what type.

On the face of it, even if it's a B63, if (as seems to be the case) the running current is under 20A, I would have doubted that the inrush would be greater than 315A (well, 189A for 3In), wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

It’s quite possible. We are dealing with a big inductive load which will be effectively a dead short at switch on.

I’ve got a 110V transformer which even with no load connected on the secondary side trips my 50A C type submain when it is switched directly on line.

The resistance the OP states seems unlikely. The primary coil should be effectively a short circuit when tested with an ohm meter. When powered but not actually welding the current draw should be next to zero.

It’s quite possible. We are dealing with a big inductive load which will be effectively a dead short at switch on.
Yes, but doesn't it behave as a big inductive load which is in series with (not in parallel with) the resistive component of the impedance? If so, since we've been told that the resistance is about 20Ω, then the impedance couldn't be less than that at switch-on, which would equate to less than 20A at switch-on (at 400V), even if the inductive reactance were zero, wouldn't it?

... or am I wrong about how an 'inductor with resistance' behaves?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the comments chaps, it is an interesting subject.

I measured the resistance with a Fluke MFT set to low resistance.

The breaker is a Schneider NSX 100F.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back