Daisy chaining a single phase socket from a 3-phase socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any restriction on daisy chaining a single phase commando socket from a 3-phase commando socket. I know it's common to daisy chain multiple sockets of the same phase...but I am not sure about mixing single and 3-phase.
(The breaker and cable size is sufficient to allow this)...Thanks

Sponsored Links
I thought with the exception of the 16A size commando sockets weren't supposed to be on breakers higher than the rating of the socket.

230V said:
Is there any restriction on daisy chaining a single phase commando socket from a 3-phase commando socket. I know it's common to daisy chain multiple sockets of the same phase...but I am not sure about mixing single and 3-phase.
(The breaker and cable size is sufficient to allow this)...Thanks
We use three phase to single phase adaptor boxes at work these have pass through three phase and single phase sockets mounted on them so mixing isnt a problem, though these are pluggable as opposed to your intended hard wired route.

Sponsored Links
no problem whatsoever..

as long as the breaker rating is the right size ( IE 16A or 20A for a 16A socket, 32A or 40A for a 32A socket.. )

and as already said you'd need a neutral but if it's a 3P+N+E socket you're spuring off then you'll have one in there..

I got the answer I was looking for. Both single and 3-phase sockets are 32A and so is the breaker. So I shall go ahead with daisy chaining this additional single phase socket.
Thanks
Az

Will the circuit withstand the proposed additional load?

What testing/certification are you going to do?

the additional load is not an issue as long as it was designed to take the original load ( ie cable size ) and the breaker is not changed.. it just means that you can't use both sockets at full capacity without tripping the fuse..

in practice, a 32A 3phase plug is probably never used at capacity.. 25-27A is about the most that people will put on them before going up a size..
so he has a few amps spare for an extract etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back