3 Phase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you need to keep the circuits on 3 phases separate so we have ground floor on one phase, first floor on the other etc.

HOWEVER, we also have 5A lamp sockets that run off Lutron dimming panels that are 3 phase (not single) These lamp sockets will obviously be next to rings on a certain phase.

Is this acceptable?

TIA

Sponsored Links
If they are labelled as having a potential of 400V present, yes.

The reg you are probably referring to is 514-10-01.
It should be noted that this reg refers to Uo which in a TN system is phase-earth voltage, although 3 phase is (U) 400v phase-phase, it is nominally (Uo) 230v to earth.
Still it's better to be safe than sorry, take the regs as a minimum requirement.

Sponsored Links
I think that reg only covers things like warning labels on grid switches and the like where you would not normally expect to find 415V.

There is/was a direct reference to sockets on different phases within 6ft of each other having to have the 415V between warning labels but I can't find it now :confused:

Pensdown said:
...There is/was a direct reference to sockets on different phases within 6ft of each other having to have the 415V between warning labels but I can't find it now :confused:
I remember the one you mean, but it was withdrawn after (I think) 15th edition. About the same time as kitchen supplementary bonding.

edited: Or maybe, you just weren't allowed to have them within 6ft? And now you are... memory's like a... ummm.... errr...

I think you maybe right but I don't remember reading about it nor can anyone else hear. (here = in the office not this forum)
We shall carry on using the labels regardless.

edit

A few years back a guy I worked with got dragged over the coals for fitting some socket outlets on some inspection benches in our factory.He had fitted them on 2 different phases.It wasn't the fact that he hadn't fitted a label but because he was told it wasn't allowed.Now I can see the reasoning behind it, perhaps, but I could never find a regulation to back up the bosses argument!
Their reasoning was that you could have 2 hand-held portable appliances on 2 different phases being used by the same person.You would have to have a hell of a set of circumstances for there to be 415V shock potential :confused:

Thanks for the replies labels it will be....

However, the manufacturer of the lighting panels has suggested that we connect the 3 phase isolator on the panels to a single phase on the distribution board by combining the 3 phases at the board.

Doesnt sound great to me what do you think, I would rather wire to the design of the original application?

Lighting controllers are often built to be either 3-phase or single depending what you have available. 3ph being better as it gives a balanced load.

The ones I was been involved with had a low-voltage switch/dim control (I think it was 6.5v) and the packs and lamps were out of reach of anyone not on a scaffold tower for maintenance, so untrained people were not exposed to risk of shock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back