Fitting ethernet adapters across phases

Sponsored Links
The reason is that to do so will cause interference and being reasonable people we don't want you to do that. I don't know if it will work either.
Ok, to skirt the interference issue, which I'm not concerned about, perhaps pretend that I am linking two routers on separate phases with an FTP Ethernet cable. Can anyone see an issue with this?

Sponsored Links
pretend that I am linking two routers on separate phases with an FTP Ethernet cable.

FTP = foil, in this case, right? Why? Are you running 10G?
Why routers? I would expect switches, or maybe one router and one switch.
But regarding them being on different phases, YES IT WILL WORK.

Ok, to skirt the interference issue, which I'm not concerned about because I don't care about my neighbours ability to watch TV, listen to the radio or use their own non-interfering devices, let alone the emergency services ability to communicate even though one day it may be to request more assistance at my property, perhaps pretend that I am linking two routers on separate phases with an FTP Ethernet cable. Can anyone see an issue with this?

There I fixed your message for you. Your welcome.

Surely for the adaptors to communicate with each other, they have to be on the same conductor

Hence the data bridge that Mecca has created.

Old memories of PLC units being recalled after a series of incidents where items were damaged by failure in the PLC isolation between mains and data. ( some PLC units also caught fire due to poor quality manufacture / design )

mal eline _02.jpg

The data link between System A and System B is a weak point as the two items in close proximity but operating on different data channels may mutually interfere creating lost packets and the necessary repeats.

If the data link system A <-> system B is constructed with PLC units that have only a two pin connection to the mains supply then the risk of voltage breakdown across the isolation barrier in the PLC units is increased. Base line potentials for system A on Phase 1 and system B on Phase 2 may differ by over 400 volts when the isolation barrier withstand voltage is designed for a 230 volt base line potential

( Two pin mains connections deprive the item of an earth reference for the data circuitry. As a result the data circuitry may assume a base line potential somewhere between the neutral potential and live potential )

Thanks bernardgreen. This kind of makes sense. The TP Link provides a reference to earth so this isn't an issue. You mention that proximity could be an issue, which I don't entirely understand but I'll bear that in mind. So far nobody has said 'OMG, you can't bridge two phases with a data link' so perhaps it's not something I should be concerned about.??
Regarding interference, thanks for all the concern, but there are no neighbours here, the TP Link devices are not illegal (afaik) and they've been in use here for some time with no issues to do with drop outs. And phatboy, I think you need to have a sit down. If you're that worried about radio interference, you're going to have to go out and buy a lot of tin foil!

Seeing as you are so against these, which I agree with, why on earth are you promoting that web site?
I'm not.

Mecca asked if anybody else could answer his question, so I gave him the link to the people who make the wretched things.

How does that count as "promoting"?

Regarding interference, thanks for all the concern, but there are no neighbours here, the TP Link devices are not illegal (afaik)
They are if they cause problems.

And phatboy, I think you need to have a sit down. If you're that worried about radio interference, you're going to have to go out and buy a lot of tin foil!
And I think you need to go out and buy a lot of social responsibility.

Oh - sorry - I forgot - you don't give a damn about anybody else in the world just so long as you can have a cheap network.

Please don't look into the security concerns as I suggested - it would be great if you or one of your guests got hacked and suffered a loss.

So far nobody has said 'OMG, you can't bridge two phases with a data link' so perhaps it's not something I should be concerned about.??

Happens in pretty much any medium to large office anywhere surely? So it won't matter.

There'll be a data room(s), which itself would be using all three phases in the server cabinets. Or maybe a large 3 phase UPS, supplying various servers, network switches, all of which be interconnected on the network .

All the PCs, laptops, networked printers/copiers etc in the office space will all be on various phases, etc, etc. Again all connected via switches on usually (ie 2 out of three times!) other phases.

But, as others have said, avoid those cr@ppy powerlink thingys!!! Is there not even a phone line running from the house to the guest house, I'm not suggesting paying for two broadbands, VDSL adapters can be used to network over old phone lines. Higher initial cost, without the ongoing cost of paying for two broadband packages.

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back