Split Phase DB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scenario:

Large guest house currently has a split phase (460v) supply, 80amp per phase. This is at tipping point, and there is a need to increase the electrical heating requirements.

The DNO have looked into providing a new supply, and cannot increase the capacity of the existing service due to limitations in the network run (mainly overhead, but VERY long).

They have said they can supply a SECOND supply, split phase again, 80amp per phase, and this would require a second service head and meter, and will be fed from completely the other direction, although provisioned in the same mains room. They will not supply a single service. This is a very odd situation, and they have had to get authorisation to provide this.

So. The current bodge of switch gear will be removed, replaced with new.

I could fit 4 single phase boards, but would much prefer to fit two x two phase boards. MEM used to supply these, rated at 500v. Very similar to TP boards, but just two phases.

Not sure if they are still available - anyone seen any recently? Could use a merlin dual rate board I guess...

Sponsored Links
I could fit 4 single phase boards, but would much prefer to fit two x two phase boards.
As a matter of interest, why do you have that preference? If all the final circuits are single phase, I don't see the problem with single-phase boards, not even really a significant aesthetic problem. Am I missing something? My house has a number of single-phase boards (and no TP ones) run from a 3-phase supply.

Also, if you do want to have just two boards, wouldn't it be possible to use TP ones?

Kind Regards, John

Ease of fitting.

The shape of the TP type boards would fit far easier onto the existing wall.

If you had 4, you would need to go two high, two wide. I don't think you would get as many circuits in that config.

Need to have a measure and count next week sometime.

It is difficult to justify using TP ones, as they are rated to 400v, not 460v. The older MEM boards available were rated to 500v and available as TP and 2P+N.

Sponsored Links
There is Eaton 660V gear around, but whether it suits your needs, I'm not sure.

Are you just looking for MCB's / RCBO's in a metalclad enclosure?

Eaton used to be on 0161 652 1111, not sure if it's changed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back