split phase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All what is split phase exactly I have been told its single phase shared at two or more points and the cable drops in csa as it leaves main cable as in the 3rd house up the street is on the same phase as you ?? I asked the supplier when i bought my place about this supply option they said single or three is all you get
Maguire

Sponsored Links
Your post makes little sense.

single phase = 1 phase and neutral.
Split phase = 2 phases and neutral. The two phases have 460v between them. They are NOT two phases of a 3 phase system.
3 phase = 3 phases and neutral.

Domestic is usually 1 phase and neutral, with every third house recieving the same phase. On my street, one street feeder supplies 5 houses in a row with one phase, then another feeder supplies the next 5 and so on.

Cheers your right, it reads like gibberish but at least you had a go at it deciphering successfully

split phase..

center tapped transformer that puts out 230 - 0 - 230 with the center tap being earthed and the neutral..

Sponsored Links
so can anyone tell me why i have 3 wires coming into our place?

3 brown wires come in, two are connected to a std cut out, neutral and live (with a 100a fuse) which go to meter etc. then the third wire connected to a separate 100a fuse, which isnt connected to anything.

:?:

picture?

Perhaps they anticipated storage heating? Or a supply for next door?

picture?

Perhaps they anticipated storage heating? Or a supply for next door?

no pic at mo... supply comes off pole outside, tacked along house and into cupboard.

theres no voltage coming through as far as i know....

no next door,

Split phase = 2 phases and neutral. The two phases have 460v between them.

They are not two phases. They are two poles of a single-phase system, because they are fed from a single-phase transformer.

so can anyone tell me why i have 3 wires coming into our place?

3 brown wires come in, two are connected to a std cut out, neutral and live (with a 100a fuse) which go to meter etc. then the third wire connected to a separate 100a fuse, which isnt connected to anything.

It sounds as though there was a heavier load at one time, or such a load was anticipated, storage heating being the typical reason in a domestic building. If the local distribution system is 1-phase 3-wire it will be the opposite "outer" of the system; if the local system is 3-phase, then it will be another phase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back