Three phase in the street?

Hmmmm ... HS2 is a touchy subject..... its gonna take my house!
Sorry to hear that ... and it's meant to be passing a few hundred yards (I think around half a mile) from mine, although I think it's now going to be in a cutting, if not tunnel, where it gets closest to me.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear that ... and it's meant to be passing a few hundred yards (I think around half a mile) from mine, although I think it's now going to be in a cutting, if not tunnel, where it gets closest to me.

Kind Regards, John

We are a little closer...... on Phase 2b... the track will go through our lounge! The irony is that my house was originally built by the railway (for a Station Master) ... and now it will be taken away by the railway.

"All" it's going to take from me is the ability to travel on local roads I use all the time, and the ability to be free of literally hundreds of thousands of HGV movements, for a period of 7 years.

But never mind - nobody must grumble - it is democracy, the people have spoken and this is what they want.

Sponsored Links
generally, every third house is on the same phase, which balances things out roughly.
The choice of which phase was supplied to my cottage ( new connection in 2011 ) was decided by which conductor in the street cable was the easiest conductor to tap into.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies....I didn’t realise my comment would spark? off such a varied debate!

I don't know, my knowledge ends there. I was wondering how a locomotive can swap from one track circuit to the next without (a) shorting out two phases or (b) loosing supply altogether. What you suggest above though leaves a pair of phases more heavily loaded that the one left over.

There are what the rail industry call "Neutral Sections" with no power where the train has to coast through before picking up the next powered section. Very embarrassing if you get stuck in one.

There are what the rail industry call "Neutral Sections" with no power where the train has to coast through before picking up the next powered section. Very embarrassing if you get stuck in one.

Does this still apply to overhead lines too? I get how it would/does have to work when a rain picks ups its juice from a collector shoe on a 3rd or 3rd & 4th rail - and I guess some sort of continuity/drive can be maintained with different pick-ups. But with an over head cable and just the one pantograph?? All teh trains systems would have to either loose power, or be battery backed.

Nozzle

a train picks ups its juice from a collector shoe on a 3rd or 3rd & 4th rail
The majority of them are DC 600 to 720 volts and a train bridging two sections doesn't normally present a problem as the polarity is the same. The gap between sections is only a couple of feet, the third rail of one section ends on one side of the track and the third rail of the next section starts on the other side of the track.

Which people voted for it? And when did they vote?

Well, I certainly didn't vote for it. I suspect that most people, in fact, don't really want it especially as it is we who are paying for it!

Does this still apply to overhead lines too? I get how it would/does have to work when a rain picks ups its juice from a collector shoe on a 3rd or 3rd & 4th rail - and I guess some sort of continuity/drive can be maintained with different pick-ups. But with an over head cable and just the one pantograph?? All teh trains systems would have to either loose power, or be battery backed.
Nozzle

Yes, I believe the unpowered section is typically 1/4 of a mile long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back