Three Phase Supply?

S

sturharv

I have an old barn which currently has a three phase connection, the barn is being converted, and a single phase supply would be sufficient. As my knowledge on electrics is limited can I leave the three phase in or do I have to remove it and ask the supply company to put a new single phase in?

If it is to be repositioned to another area in the barn, again would you remove the three phase for a new single phase connection or just reposition the three phase?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably cost a bit to switch the supply I would have thought. You could just keep the 3 phase and use only 1 phase of it (terminating the other 2 phases safely).

Do you pay a standing charge or higher rates because you have 3 phase?

If you are repositioning the whole supply then it would be worth considering the switch. Get your electricity company in for a quote then you can make your decision.

Probably cost a bit to switch the supply I would have thought. You could just keep the 3 phase and use only 1 phase of it (terminating the other 2 phases safely).

Do you pay a standing charge or higher rates because you have 3 phase?

If you are repositioning the whole supply then it would be worth considering the switch. Get your electricity company in for a quote then you can make your decision.

Many thanks for the reply, I'm not sure about the standing charge but will do some investigation.

Also depends on the size of the current supply - You may be paying an availability charge based on the expected usage, which is often out dated if there have been several occupiers and different uses of the site.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at your bill and tell us what it says

In an ordinary domestic instalation I think it is better not to have 3ph - the danger of shock is more severe, and most domestic electricians aren't used to it. You have to know or remember various extra things.

If you convert from 3ph to sp they will probably just take out the main fuses on 2 of the phases and fit a new meter. minor work and the cable will still be there if it's needed in future - no point in digging it up.

If you have an old iron service head you could ask for it to be replaced (just the head) and have PME.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back