3 phase to single phase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly apologies if this is the wrong section but I need some quick info. and this section seems well used!

Can 3 phase woodworking machines be easily and cheaply converted to single phase? I've seen this done so am assuming it does happen.

1. Is it expensive
2. Is it an easy job for an electrician
3. Does there come a point where the size of the original 3 phase motor means a conversion to single phase is impractical and if so what size.

and finally for someone dense in all things electric, why have 3 phase in the first place???

Many thanks....................

Sponsored Links
matz said:
Can 3 phase woodworking machines be easily and cheaply converted to single phase? I've seen this done so am assuming it does happen.
Are you sure you've seen conversion of the actual equipment to single-phase and not the use of a 3-phase inverter?

When I say "I've seen" I mean I've read of machines for sale which have been converted, sorry!!! Again, I've read of replacement single phase motors being installed.

Whats involved with an inverter? cost and work wise?

matz said:
Whats involved with an inverter? cost and work wise?

inverter plugs into single phase supply, 3 phase equipment is plugged into inverter. try searchin altavista and youll find loads of info/prices on inverters

Sponsored Links
matz said:
Firstly apologies if this is the wrong section but I need some quick info. and this section seems well used!

1. Is it expensive
2. Is it an easy job for an electrician
3. Does there come a point where the size of the original 3 phase motor means a conversion to single phase is impractical and if so what size.

it may be possible to convert a motor to single phase using capacitors but there will be some power loss and it would need a motor expert to do properly/safely (ie a normal sparky is unlikely to have a clue about it)

another possibility is simply to replace the motor with an appropriate single phase motor.

finally you can use an inverter to produce 3 phase but they are fairly expensive

matz said:
and finally for someone dense in all things electric, why have 3 phase in the first place???
the main reason is it allows constant power to be delivered which tends to mean far less vibration in the motor and the generator. The only other way to get constant power is to use DC which has huge problems of its own (namely its a pita to voltage convert)

All three phase motors can be converted to single phase with the addition of a suitably rated capacitor wired acorss one winding and the other two connected as one. However as plug has highlighted you need to know what your doing to achieve this with any degress of success and to do it safely.

I would suggest that you look at buying a suitable single phase motor for the machine as it will be a lot easier and cheaper than the conversion route.

Many thanks for the info. much appreciated :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back