3 pin hob to hard wired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hob is broken and needs replaced the old unit is hard wired and most new units are 3 pin socket idea can i just remove the socket and hard wire it in and loose the fuse?

Sponsored Links
Most hobs are over 3kW and as such are hard wired. There are a few for example the domino types which are under 3kW and could be plugged in and there are gas hobs where the power is only for ignition. With these lower wattage versions the cable is likely too small to be protected by the 32A MCB/Fuse which would normally supply a hob so I think there is something missing here may be you can give some examples of what you are looking at?

Sponsored Links
Please don't confuse a plug:
TLPT13.JPG

With a plug:
GW240SLASH32SLASH3P.JPG

There's no way in hell that hob is connected via the first type.

At 6.7kW it would require a 32A plug which I think is very unlikely to be fitted I think more likely there is a mistake with the Argos advert.

The manual says it has options for single phase, split phase and three phase connection and shows a connection box not a plug in system.

I would think you will find it does need hard wiring in it's Argos making a mistake.

I would not by the way go for touch controls made that mistake with my mothers hob and found to first select which ring then adjust the heat defeated the whole idea of having a fast acting hob. I know the one you have selected is not fast acting but would think one with knobs is far easier to use. We found to stop something boiling over we needed to lift the pan on hers as it took so long to turn the heat down by multi presses on touch control. Ours has knobs and just as quick to turn off power as lift pan. In both cases they were induction hobs but it really put me off touch controls.

I do like the way they offer to re-cycle. You would think they were doing you a favour not just complying with the law.

According to this page -

http://www.indesit.co.uk/appliances_i/Hob_VRA_640_C/pid_53062UK/10.do

the 'max.absorbed power' (not sure what that means) is 6700kW (yes kW).
Obviously this is a mistake and should be 6.7kW.

If so, the very minimum protection by usual calculations would be 16A (common in Europe) but preferably at least 20A.
As such, this would not be able to be plugged into a 13A socket.

Perhaps there are some current limiting devices fitted but obviously this would limit the power and usefulness of the hob.

Something wrong somewhere.

As your old hob was hardwired it will not be difficult to connect a new one properly but as I said perhaps this hob is not very good.

Thanks, thats what i thought wasnt too sure as many sites say same thing even hotpoint 3 pin plug, prob copied argos they all sell same stuff

was really asking because most places only home delivery and didnt want the hassel of sending it back and getting refund or along those line cheers

the mrs wants the touch to "clean" better i normaly take knobs and clean def prefer knobs quicker controls and less chance of controls heating up

There are hobs with magnet knobs which you can remove an wash but it is after all her that will use it so up to her. But having had the problems with my mother though it was worth pointing out.

In a way we were lucky the council was fitting the kitchen we paid for the appliances only and after fitting they realised she had a pace maker so swapped the hob for a halogen instead of induction and at the same time we selected one with knobs and since their mistake they paid for replacement.

I still think she would have been better with induction as if with one leg she falls and tries to save herself the induction hob is far cooler so any injures would be less. It also had all the added safety features like automatic shut off if left on when you go on holiday etc.

Draw back would have been having to get new set of pans but we have gained with that as we did not realise you can get microwave pressure cookers until we started to look for new pans and they work really well. Doesn't look too good being in bright red plastic but works well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back