Hob and Oven wiring help?

Indeed it may.

But there does not seem to be the same level of concern about the abilities of accessories on dedicated cooker circuits designed using diversity.

Sponsored Links
Indeed it may. But there does not seem to be the same level of concern about the abilities of accessories on dedicated cooker circuits designed using diversity.
Maybe, in the case of very large cookers. I think that accessories used on cooker circuits are likely to be 'rated' at 40, 45 or 50A, which, even without any diversity, would accommodate cookers with a maximum demand up to around 10kW, perhaps more.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the main reason probably is that people are concerned not about the protection (essentially based on average currents) but, rather, about the ability of a BS1363 plug/socket to cope with an 'instantaneous' (i.e. short-term) current which may at times be considerably more than 13A.
Subsequent posts suggest that you agree with them?

If so, does that mean?

a) The sockets are not fit for purpose in being able to handle 'normal' overload currents until the fuse would trip,

OR

b) (apropos another thread) Appliances that are fitted with these plugs do not cause 'normal' overload?

Well, you know what I mean.

If the plugs can't cope with higher current on switch-on, then they, presumably, can't cope with fault-caused overload.

Subsequent posts suggest that you agree with them?
Not really - but, as I said, and just as BAS said, it "would not feel right" to me to put a "13A" plug on a "4kW" cooking appliance. Would you do it in your own home (if you were still in the UK)? Would you do it in a customer's home (in the UK)?
If so, does that mean?
"N/A", but ....
a) The sockets are not fit for purpose in being able to handle 'normal' overload currents until the fuse would trip,...
Dunno. Since, traditionally, OPDs seem to be regarded as only being there to protect cables, we only really think/talk of cable protection and, in that context, we assume that it has been decided that the cables can happily handle the 'excessive' currents (beyond their tabulated CCC) which may flow before an OPD operates. If it is not felt that OPDs are there to protect accessories, it is not so obvious that similar consideration will necessarily have been given to how accessories respond to 'excessive' currents (beyond their 'rating') during the period before an OPD operates.
OR .... b) (apropos another thread) Appliances that are fitted with these plugs do not cause 'normal' overload?
It takes very unlikely circumstances for a cooker to produce an overload as a consequence of a fault (everyday sense) but, in the situation we are discussing, a cooker will sometimes draw considerably more than the after-diversity current - so, if circuit is designed and constructed on the basis of the after-diversity current, the the current will sometimes be 'excessive' - hence analagous to an 'overload' due to a fault (everyday sense).

Kind Regards, John

Many 13 amp plugs overheat at 13 amps continuously. The post office down rated them to 9 amps on their premises for this reason.

Many 13 amp plugs overheat at 13 amps continuously. The post office down rated them to 9 amps on their premises for this reason.
Yes, we know that some people believe that, and my personal experience is certainly that they can get quite warm after long periods of carrying 13A. However, what is being discussed here is not continuous currents (or 13A or whatever) but, rather, brief periods of current flow in excess of 13A.

Kind Regards, John

Not really - but, as I said, and just as BAS said, it "would not feel right" to me to put a "13A" plug on a "4kW" cooking appliance. Would you do it in your own home (if you were still in the UK)? Would you do it in a customer's home (in the UK)?
I wouldn't have done it in a customer's house - but that doesn't mean it might be fundamentally incorrect.

As to my own - probably not, like you two.

I wouldn't like to have a 30A cooker on my 16A plug and socket.

It can, presumably carry 23.2A for an hour and 30A for a minute plus all the other current/time combinations.

So ... ?

If it is not felt that OPDs are there to protect accessories, it is not so obvious that similar consideration will necessarily have been given to how accessories respond to 'excessive' currents (beyond their 'rating') during the period before an OPD operates.
Are we not aware that light switches can have their contacts welded together by a fault current, even though the OPD has done what it should and the cables are fine?

Are we not aware that light switches can have their contacts welded together by a fault current, even though the OPD has done what it should and the cables are fine?
Quite so. Although I don't think I've personally experienced that, I've certainly heard reports of it happening. Mind you, ('true') fault currents are in a different ballpark from the moderate 'over-currents' we're talking about, even if they should only have a very brief duration if the OPD does its work.

Kind Regards, John

As to my own - probably not, like you two.
That makes at least three of us, then. In reality I would imagine that very few, if any, electricians would actually consdier doing it, anywhere.
I wouldn't like to have a 30A cooker on my 16A plug and socket. It can, presumably carry 23.2A for an hour and 30A for a minute plus all the other current/time combinations.
Indeed, and we (at least I) don't know whether the plug/socket could tolerate (without damage) those current/time combinations, particularly the high/brief ones, in the same way that cable is assumed to be able to.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, and we (at least I) don't know whether the plug/socket could tolerate (without damage) those current/time combinations, particularly the high/brief ones, in the same way that cable is assumed to be able to.
If they cannot, then should it be considered that the 13A (or16A) is an absolute maximum current that it can handle.

If so, how would that be ensured when faults occur - or should it always be replaced after such incidents?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back