3 port problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone help.i've just been to a call where the customer says they are only getting heat to the upstairs rads.i immediately thought a faulty pump but discovered the 3 port had been left in the manually open position.i put it back to normal and made a demand for heating,the lever moved over but not enough to hit the microswitch.as it was late in the evening i just dry wired a new 3 port in.the lever moved and made the microswitch but the pump failed to start and hence no ignition.the strange thing is with the old 3 port if i pushed the lever that bit further to make the microswitch the pump kicked in and the boiler fired.duff 3 port?????any ideas? would be a great help

Sponsored Links
Would imagine the original valve needed a new synchron motor so has just been latched open to bypass it, check the wiring on the replacement and check the pump. May just be that the heating doesn't have chance to warm up before the cylinder stat is satisfied.

thanks for the advice. i did try a syncron first but still not working. i didnt get 230v on the orange so im suspecting the 3 port i dry wired is faulty.

Sponsored Links
2 seperate actuators getting power to the motor making the microswitch and not putting power down the orange?, sounds unlikely.

In order to get 230v on the orange wire when valve opens you must have 230v on the grey wire (either from h/w off on clock or cyl stat satisfied)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back