Loud noise from 3 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, recently had the three port valve replaced. It worked fine for 3 weeks, now it is making loud banging noise when central heating is turned on from controller and there is call from heat from central heating thermostat. Please listen to the video in the link. The noise disappears when the lever on 3-port valve is moved to middle and then back left to auto.Video

Any thoughts what this could be?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it was fitted the wrong way.

Is the B going to the Cylinder or the Heating.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys for getting back. A bit more context on the whole set up. This is how the system is intended to work - hot water turned on from controller would work on its own (if there is call for heat from thermostat on hot water tank). Central heating will only work if it is own from controller, hot water is also on from controller and there is a call for heat from room thermostat. (Central heating on from controller on its own is not designed to work). With this design, how A, B and AB from 3-port valve should be wired?

I am getting an engineer to look at in the morning as well.

Any insights will be useful. Thank you.

Is the B going to the Cylinder or the Heating.
B which is on the other side as seen in the video is going to hot water cylinder. A which is seen in the video is going into radiator pipes.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I will pay more attention in future.
Thanks Bod, just so that I understand correctly (I am in pre-diy stage, so please pardon my ignorance) B into hot water cylinder and A into radiators is wrong way to do it?

Thanks Bod, just so that I understand correctly (I am in pre-diy stage, so please pardon my ignorance) B into hot water cylinder and A into radiators is wrong way to do it?
That's correct

Where is the pump?

That's correct

Where is the pump?
Pump is feeding into AB. Please read this as well. This is how system was working initially-A bit more context on the whole set up. This is how the system is intended to work - hot water turned on from controller would work on its own (if there is call for heat from thermostat on hot water tank). Central heating will only work if it is on from controller, hot water is also on from controller and there is a call for heat from room thermostat. (Central heating on from controller on its own is not designed to work).

There is a cold water tank and a small tank for heating system in loft.

If it’s plumbed in correctly, then I’d say could be motor not sat correctly

Pump is feeding into AB. Please read this as well. This is how system was working initially-A bit more context on the whole set up. This is how the system is intended to work - hot water turned on from controller would work on its own (if there is call for heat from thermostat on hot water tank). Central heating will only work if it is on from controller, hot water is also on from controller and there is a call for heat from room thermostat. (Central heating on from controller on its own is not designed to work).

There is a cold water tank and a small tank for heating system in loft.

Just to confirm, AB is from the boiler FLOW (hot)?, B goes to cylinder & A goes to CH.

You say, above that "(Central heating on from controller on its own is not designed to work)." are you saying that you can't have CH on its own without the HW on and calling at the same time. If its a 3 port mid position valve then you can have HW only, CH only, and HW&CH together. (see user friendly schematic, below and "official" Y plan), if it a 3 port diverter valve then you can only have HW or CH but not both together. Can you confirm that you have a mid position valve via model number or photo?.

Attachments

• Mid Position Valve Unmodified.gif
    Mid Position Valve Unmodified.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Y Plan Wiring Schematic.gif
    Y Plan Wiring Schematic.gif
    57.4 KB · Views: 9
Just to confirm, AB is from the boiler FLOW (hot)?, B goes to cylinder & A goes to CH.

You say, above that "(Central heating on from controller on its own is not designed to work)." are you saying that you can't have CH on its own without the HW on and calling at the same time. If its a 3 port mid position valve then you can have HW only, CH only, and HW&CH together. (see user friendly schematic, below and "official" Y plan), if it a 3 port diverter valve then you can only have HW or CH but not both together. Can you confirm that you have a mid position valve via model number or photo?.
thank you Johntheo5 for looking into this. Some observations below :-
1. Correct, AB is from boiler flow (hot). AB is fed from pump installed just below the AB.
2. Central heating only works when HW is also on from controller. This does not mean HW is called by cylinder, just on from controller. My understanding is that when central heating and hot water are both on from controller, hot water cylinder thermostats decides if there is need for hot water or not, and if there is no need for hot water, then it sends signal to value to move to central heating only. I am looking for wiring diagram to allow for this function. All this will not happen if hot water is off from controller. This is how system was working previously.
3. 3 port valve -

HONEYWELL HOME V4073A1039/U 3 PORT MOTORISED VALVE 22MM 22MM COMPRESSION​

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back