3 port valve head removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just put my hot water on for the 1st time in about 4 weeks (we've got solar thermal so don't use the boiler much in the summer), and noticed the radiators getting hot. Looked at the 3 port valve and is was really hot to touch. Thought I'd order a replacement head, as it's a newer style 3 port valve with removable head without draining the system down but after about 2 hours and nearly completely destroying the old one. I've come to the conclusion it's not. I thought there may be a circlip under the motor mounting plate hence I prised it out of the way to get access but no circlip. See photo. Anyone come across this type of valve was fitted about 5 years ago? Looks like I'm draining the system down again to replace the entire valve. Annoyingly I drained it back in
June, flushed it refilled with inhibitor, looks like its getting another flush!
20220917_173056.jpg
20220917_135919.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does the top of the cover have a dimple on it? If it does it’s replaceable without draining down, if it doesn’t, then drain down I’m afraid. Have a look at this if it’s removable:

Yes that's identical to mine, right up to 1:47 where he pulls the cover off! I've removed the 2 screws diagonally opposite each other, but the head is firmly attached to the brass valve body somehow? Any ideas?

Does it have a dimple on the cover? Did you put the lever into manual position? Maybe try using the lever?

Sponsored Links
yes its got a dimple on the cover and i put it into manual position first. It's locked solid like there's a clip or something holding it?

Sorry, I haven’t actually removed any of the heads, so wouldn’t know. Perhaps one of the more experienced can help you out?

I've removed the 2 screws diagonally opposite each other, but the head is firmly attached to the brass valve body somehow? Any ideas?
It could be just lime-scale gluing the two together. If so, a bit of leverage using flat-blade screwdrivers both sides should shift it.

Hold lever in manual position and wiggle it off

I've hammered a chisel between the head and valve body all its done is bent the head back plate which is now shaped like a banana. The head base will move freely and rotate but the shaft is firm, defiantly feels clipped in somehow. Did they make an all in one unit that couldn't have the head removed? I'm confused because it must of been assembled in the factory in the first place so must come apart somehow!

Did they make an all in one unit that couldn't have the head removed?
Maybe. I had an old central-heating programmer where the dial had a one-way push-fit on a shaft and couldn't be removed without destroying the fitting. Needless to say I destroyed the fitting, then had to drill and tap the shaft to refit the dial using a screw !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back