Replacing 3 port valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am going to be replacing my 3 port valve this weekend and understand that you need to drain the system down first.

My question is that looking at the piping my pump has 2 isolating valves either side of it. Can i not just close these and then replace the valve and then reopen them? i guess i will get a little leakage but a bucket will be close by!!

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Sponsored Links
Not unless your feed and vent pipes are between them aswell. If you're feeling brave buy a bung kit when you get your valve otherwise just drain down from a drain point on the radiator pipework to below the level of the valve. Easiest just to turn water supply off completely while doing the valve to prevent tank form refilling.

Cheers for the quick answer.

where do i put the bung kit - is it in the expansion tank (the smaller one in the loft) and how reliable are they?

Sponsored Links
i just found this -
Limitations:
Suitable for 15mm and 22mm pipework.
Not to be used on direct, unvented or primatic systems or auto-vented systems.
Not to be used on systems with a header tank more than 30ft (9 metres) above the systems lowest point.
No lubricating oils to be applied.
Only one section of pipework can be disconnected at a time e.g. No three-way valves - one two-way disconnection only.
does this mean i cant use a bung kit?

Cheers for the quick answer.

where do i put the bung kit - is it in the expansion tank (the smaller one in the loft) and how reliable are they?

Yes its the f & e tank, I've never failed with one although it can sometimes take nearly as long to pull a vacuum as it can to empty the top part of the system.

thanks hi-spec - i must have been typing when you replied. Ok then - drain the system it is then. Anything i need to be aware of that could go wrong?

now i am confused - one saying you cant and one saying they've never had one fail. I think i will play safe and drain :confused:

i just found this -
Limitations:
Suitable for 15mm and 22mm pipework.
Not to be used on direct, unvented or primatic systems or auto-vented systems.
Not to be used on systems with a header tank more than 30ft (9 metres) above the systems lowest point.
No lubricating oils to be applied.
Only one section of pipework can be disconnected at a time e.g. No three-way valves - one two-way disconnection only.
does this mean i cant use a bung kit?

I've changed hundreds on bungs, if you've got auto air vents shut them.

you can change anything on any system using bungs. i cant even remember the last time i drained a system down.....probably more than a year.

ive changed cylinders, boilers and many 3 port valves.

its just a case of how long it takes to get the vacuum. if you are changing a three port valve shut off both pump valves and it should stop the water quicker. shutting the bypass sometimes helps too.

you will probably get approx a bucket of water out of it.....maybe more maybe less.

edit...i lie....i drained my own system down 2 months ago when i replaced all of the pipework....dont try that on bungs :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back