Replacing 3 Port Valve Body

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a 3 port valve which has seized in the mid position. I've checked the motorised head and that is working fine.

The 3 pipes to the valve each have an isolation tap on them. I'm just wondering if I can replace the valve without draining the system if I close these three taps?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20201105_102706.jpg
    20201105_102706.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 325
Sponsored Links
Gate valves are notorious for not fully closing ,and you have 3 of them to contend with !! Probably wiser to drain system.

1. I think its worth trying to turn off the gate valves. The ones fitted to vertical pipes will probably be OK. The one fitted to horizontal pipe more likely to let by.
2. Turn off the valves. If stiff, remove handles and use a spanner. If any won't turn with reasonable force, abandon and proceed to drain down.
3. Carefully loosen the compression nuts to each valve inlet and make sure each pipe is loose at its connection to the valve. This will allow remaining water in pipes to drain. Plenty of old towels, an oven dish handy. Wet vacuum ideal.
4. If water stops, or flows only at a manageable rate, fully undo nut and remove pipe from valve. One at a time, and be ready to push back together if water flow increases significantly.
5. If water flows too feely, retighten nuts and proceed to drain down.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a go once the new valve arrives. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Quick Update: All the gate valves were working fine. Fitted replacement no probs. 15 minute job. Thanks again for the advice

Quick Update: All the gate valves were working fine. Fitted replacement no probs. 15 minute job. Thanks again for the advice

Sorry to start this thread back up. But i too need to change my 3 port valve. When hot water is on.. the rads gets hot too!

Did/do you need to turn the GAS off? Obviously il turn the electric off at the fuse board for the wiring in the new motor.. but my reserch regarding gas seems to be inconsistent.. my boiler is old, i dare'nt try to extinguish/re ignite the pilot.

Thanks

You do not need to isolate the gas,but you do need to isolate the electrics.

Did/do you need to turn the GAS off? Obviously il turn the electric off at the fuse board for the wiring in the new motor.. but my reserch regarding gas seems to be inconsistent.. my boiler is old, i dare'nt try to extinguish/re ignite the pilot.

All you need to do is enure the boiler does not fire up, you should be able to do that by isolating the heating systems electrical supply - no need to turn the gas off at all.

All you need to do is enure the boiler does not fire up, you should be able to do that by isolating the heating systems electrical supply - no need to turn the gas off at all.

Surley the pilot light will remain? If so, i assume thats okay.. afterall.. none of the work is in/at the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back