3-position grid switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a thing as a 3-position switch? I was thinking something like the following:

The reason behind this is that I would like to install a PIR sensor for external lights, and I'd like to be able to select either 1) PIR to automatic 2) Force the lights on 3) Force it all to off (to enjoy evenings in the garden without having to sit perfectly still).

Lout1 connected to the live feed of the PIR (for mode 1)
Lout2 would be left disconnected (this is for mode 3)
Lout3 would be connected to the live feed of the lights (for mode 2)

Ideally I'd like to fit it in an MK grid plus system, as I would like to have a big bank of switches just inside the backdoor that control all the outside lights (the PIR/floods being just one set of lights). I can't find anything in the MK catalogue but I might be missing a beter solution...

If anyone can suggest another solution that would be great! :D

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if they make what you require, and if they do I'm sure someone will be along shortly to point you to a supplier but if you are fitting grid switches then an easy off-the-shelf option is to use a 3A FCU and a one-way switch.

The FCU provides the 'always-off' option and provides isolation for maintenance. When the FCU is on it will supply power to the PIR input and the one-way switch and this gives you your standard motion-activated option. The one-way switch output will go into the PIR output (lamp input) and when that switch is closed it will provide you with your always-on option.

Sort of like this (excuse my rubbish paint diagram ;))

DIAGRAM01-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Any good?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK4899.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Spark. I've seen these as momentary switches for dimmers before, looks like this one latches and will do the job. I'll give MK's tech line a call to be certain.

Davy, I hadn't considered separately fusing the floodlight as I'm only going for an "energy saving" type... was planning on a 10A RCBO or MCB-protected circuit to cover all the outdoor lights. Although, the disadvantage of a 3-position switch such as above is that it's not as obvious which way is "OFF", so when replacing a tube it could be handy to have a switched FCU to isolate... I'll need to give this some more thought.

Donkmeister, although you have solved your problem, for future reference the diagram you posted can be misleading as it shows a 1 to 3 way switch (4 terminals) as opposed to what you wanted an ON-OFF-ON switch which has 3 terminals perhaps you should revise it?

I've used the MK4899 to do just what you want. It works fine but you'd need to run 3-core & cpc cable to the lamp.

Its just as easy to buy a PIR lamp with a 'pulse' mode function.
Then you can have on, off or PIR mode using a standard switch.

the downside of lights with "pulse mode" is that a dodgy electricty supply can put them inadvertantly into the force on state where they sit wasting electricity and annoying neighbours until someone with access to the switch notices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back