Two-way switches ... break-before-make ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are domestic 2-way (light) switches break-before-make? If so is it acceptable to reply upon this as a method of "disconnecting" from one terminal before connecting to the other?

I'd ideally like to use one to switch the live feed to a PIR to the live feed to the light which the PIR controls (as an "always on"); diconnecting the PIR first.

Yes, the PIR has an "always on" function, but this subsequently relies on you hanging around for half-a-minute to switch it off - I'd rather just flick a switch!

Sponsored Links
why not just use an ordainairy switch and put a live feed direct to the lamp?

Had a feeling someone was going to say that :rolleyes:

Not knowing how PIRs are constructed, I wasn't sure whether it was feasible to have its load "live" when the PIR wasn't "switched". Seems like the answer is YES!

Ta

PS Still like to know the break-before-make answer ... just out of curiosity!

Sponsored Links
marmite said:
PS Still like to know the break-before-make answer ... just out of curiosity!
All the domestic light switches I've ever tested have been break-before-make.

It's a good question though -- I don't recall ever seeing anything in British Standard specs to say they must be (transfer switches must be, of course).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back