PIR Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a porch which has an internal light but the light switch is inside the lounge the other side of a door that we lock when going out. This makes the light pretty much useless unless we leave it on when we're out. I want to fit a PIR sensor such that the light comes on automatically for a while when we use the porch.

The problem is: ideally I'd like the wall switch in the lounge to work too (so we can leave the porch light on when we're expecting visitors). What I'm after is:

1. The light to always come on when the PIR is activated regardless of the position of the wall switch.

2. To be able to override the PIR via the wall switch and leave the light on.

Is there a PIR around that can do this? The only other way I can think of is joining two switched lives (one from the PIR and one from the switch). I'm not sure if that's OK?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Gareth

Sponsored Links
2 options:

1) Wire the switch across the L & L1 (live and switched live) terminals of the PIR detector - this will make the switch an 'override' to permanently power the light when in the closed position. The PIR will function in the open position.

2) Some (most?) PIRs have a facility that flicking the switch twice overrides the PIR function until dawn. But the switch in the off position will keep the light off.

Thanks. Option 1 was what I had in mind (joining the switched lives from the PIR and switch if I understand it right). I'll go with this.

Thanks for your time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back