3 Position Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I'm looking for a 3 way switch like this one (which is now discontinued):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MEEZTI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know where I can get one?

The reason I need it is for a light which is either on, off or on a PIR. I've successfully used one in my kitchen, which works a treat, but want to put another one elsewhere. I know I could use a pair of 2 way switches to do it, but a 3-way one is more intuitive.

Thanks
Dubby

Sponsored Links
Grid switches are available.

Are you sure you can't do what you want with a simple on/off switch?
Some PIRs allow permanent on by flicking the switch off-on-off-on.

Grid switches are available.

Are you sure you can't do what you want with a simple on/off switch?
Some PIRs allow permanent on by flicking the switch off-on-off-on.
That seemed to be a feature of the older cheapo tungsten ones- none of the modern cheapo LED ones I've fitted have that feature (annoyingly- it is very handy).

Thanks for the quick replies!

That grid switch "2 way and centre off" looks like it'll do the job.

I've already bought the PIR - I possibly could get a different one which you flick to make go permanently on, but the 3-way ones seem more intuitive to use (to me anyway..!)

Thanks again both for your help!

Sponsored Links
Make sure you go for K4899WHI not K4900WHI as that's retractive and you'd have to stand there holding your outside light on!

You can also so the same with Click Mode Minigrid rather than MK grid. The difference is the switch modules just screw to the back of the plate with the click (MK you have a yoke/frame you clip them into) Its a lot cheaper, You'd need MD070WH for the module and CMA401 for the plate. Actually looking at the discontinued item, it looks very much like its made up of the click mode range....

That seemed to be a feature of the older cheapo tungsten ones- none of the modern cheapo LED ones I've fitted have that feature (annoyingly- it is very handy).
You are presumably talking about lights with built-in PIRs. Standalone PIRs (which could well be what the OP has, and don't know whether they are feeding a tungsten or LED load)) still seem to often have that facility.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks Adam_151 - I actually ordered the MK one before seeing your post, which is a pity as it is more expensive alright. Fortunately just one though.

JohnW2 - thanks too for the comment - it's driving LEDs, but I'd rather have a 3-way switch anyway - we've got one already in the kitchen so are used to it. (The new one is actually for the bathroom - safely positioned outside it of course!)

JohnW2 - thanks too for the comment - it's driving LEDs, but I'd rather have a 3-way switch anyway - we've got one already in the kitchen so are used to it. (The new one is actually for the bathroom - safely positioned outside it of course!)
Fair enough.

It's probably unnecessary caution, but if it were me and I wanted to do that, I'd try to make sure that the PIR I was using with one with a 'proper relay' switching the output (i.e. one which made an audible click when it switched the light on). If it were one with a semiconductor-switched output, it's just possible that it would not take kindly to having its output connected to a live supply (which I presume is what you intend to do in the 'permanently on' switch position).

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough.

It's probably unnecessary caution, but if it were me and I wanted to do that, I'd try to make sure that the PIR I was using with one with a 'proper relay' switching the output (i.e. one which made an audible click when it switched the light on). If it were one with a semiconductor-switched output, it's just possible that it would not take kindly to having its output connected to a live supply (which I presume is what you intend to do in the 'permanently on' switch position).

Kind Regards, John
You can avoid that concern with careful wiring and some 4 core but you don't have to- triacs are quite tolerant of mains on the 'switched' side (not sure about MOSFETS but they're expensive so low odds anyone would be using them. Advantage of a PIR with a proper relay - they'll work with the tiny load of an LED lamp, triacs may not latch properly at 10w or so

Related to the OPs question, does anyone do an "off - 1 - 1+2" switch ? ie up is off, centre is on for the PIR, and down leaves the PIR supply live while also switching on the bypass. Makes more sense than "1 - off - 2".

by "bypass" do you mean, light on?

no point in doing that as well as the PIR. All the PIR can do is turn on the light. It's already on.

Yes, that's what I mean - but I think you missed a detail. IMO it makes more sense to have the switch function be "off-auto-on" than "auto-off-on" - more logical from the POV of users. Ie up is off, down is on, and we've added an in-between position that's in-between in function.

There is a secondary issue, in that if when you switch from "on" to "auto" and the PIR is powered on in both positions and there's no break - then there's no issues with PIRs with "odd" operations.
For example, the occupancy sensor in our kitchen has a delay on switch on - and it's not been wired with an override. On switch on there's a couple of seconds delay before the lights come on, then about 10s later they go off again which is "a bit annoying" - and no amount of waving arms will turn them back on again until another couple of seconds has passed.

the occupancy sensor in our kitchen has a delay on switch on - and it's not been wired with an override. On switch on there's a couple of seconds delay before the lights come on, then about 10s later they go off again which is "a bit annoying" - and no amount of waving arms will turn them back on again until another couple of seconds has passed.

What a shame no-one has invented a device that can cause the lights to be "on" or "off" at the occupants whim, until he decides to change it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back