3-rate 2Supply Numbers meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know anything really about these meters so thought I would ask the forum.
The package I am on is just called: Prepayment. I have a digtal type meter which says on it "two element". & have two supply numbers so totally shafted for moving to another supplier :evil: Anyway, My bill talks about Comfort Plus Conrol: Heating, Comfort Plus Control:Other & then the Standing charge afterwhich is the total and next the vat is added.
Just wondering, is this an Economy7 meter? We do have storage heaters from the 1980s which I feel have asbestos in them but I am in a housing assoc flat in a high-rise block so there doesn't seem to be anyway we will EVER get these replaced for modern heating before the blocks are pulled down.
Are there any grants etc for replacing storage heaters when you are on benefits that any of you folk are aware of? & do you get full grant for the Dryline walls which have been recommended for this flat? ta in advance :D

Sponsored Links
if you are on a prepayment scheme, write to your supplier and ask to be put on a normal (credit) tariff. it will be cheaper.

It will be easier if you have a good credit record, have lived there for some time, and can pay by direct debit.

Once you are on a normal tariff it will be easier to change to another supplier after a few months, provided your account is up-to-date.

I'm on paper a bankrupt so am going to be stuck with pre-payment and it is coz of the type of supply I have that I cannot change. & I seem to have a domestic tarrif that no other company has ever had so typical for residing in the West of Scotland and having a shambles service lol.

Like E7 comfort plus is an OFF PEAK TARIFF (cheaper at certain times but more expensive the rest of the day compared to standard domestic).

I don't know too much about it as AFAIK it's a tariff SP have up north and don't think we do it around here.

If you don't think your off peak tariff is of any benefit or you know of another tariff your supplier supports that may work out cheaper then you can always ask for it to be removed.

The reason you say you can't switch suppliers is because they probably do not support Comfort plus but theres nothing to stop you (that i'm aware of) changing suppliers and going on to one of their tariffs.

This may work out cheaper but can also work out more expensive depending on what you have in your home (Storage heaters etc).

From what I've heard comfort plus is supposed to be quite a good tariff isn't it?

p.s
It doesn't matter if you pay by prepayment or another way, you can still change tariff.
But the new prepayment meters don't support all tariff's, so you may be limited as to what tariff you can switch too.

Sponsored Links
I work for what is most likely your supplier ( I instal meters ). There are one or two different issues here. I understand what you said about becoming a credit customer, so you're stuck with prepayment. As you so rightly said, either of the Comfortplus tariffs require two MPAN (supply) numbers. We get a fair amount of work changing tariffs when people change supplier, for the simple reason that SP seem to be about the only supplier whose systems can handle two MPANs. Don't ask me why, it just is the case.

What's a little less clear is whether you're on Comfortplus White Meter or Comfortplus Control tariff (CPWM or CPC). I myslef have CPC and it's probably the best tariff if you have to have storage type heating. Basically, the way it works is this. The first two rates are simply a day and night type. In other words, leaving aside space and water heating, you're charged at a normal (day) rate from around 0730 to 23330 and at a low(night) rate from 2330 to 0730. These times should be GMT. The third (control) rate handles (assuming your internal wiring is correct) all sapce and water heating. There should be, for example, a focal point fire in the living room which is connected permanently through a fused connection unit. Ths supply coming from the Control terminal of your meter is split to give some 24 hour supply (for non-storage space heating and water heating) and some timed supply (storage heating). This means that ALL space and water heating, including your shower, should be charged to the Control rate, which is I believe slightly cheaper than the night rate.

CPWM is different in that, while it still operates with three different rates, non-storage heating and water heating are not connected to the Control rate. In other words, when you use that heating will determine at what rate you are charged. If you use it between the hours of approx 2330 and 0730 GMT, you will be paying less than if you use it at other times. The real difference between CPWM and White Meter is that the storage heating times are spilt to make the heating work more comfortably for you. This is also the case with CPC.

I'm not sure whether any grants are available. I do know the Scottish Executive have run schemes for several years now for pensioners to upgrade heating systems, but you don't sound as if you fall into that catergory.

Hi there.

If you see this "SCUD", can you look at my query about Economy7 and underfloor heating please? You seem to be in the know, (unlike those at Scottish Power!), and I need some advice!

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back