3 recent windows and no fensa certificate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,its a long story but I have had 3 small windows fitted in my bathroom and the installer company was to come back to fit other room windows but never came back.
Its over a year now and they have disappeared so I need to think about getting the new windows registered,i understand fensa will not do it and I have to ask the local council BC £245.00 to issue a regurlisation certificate.
All I want to know is what will the BC want to see as I have no paperwork to show,do the trims need to be removed to check foamed sealing or anything else they want to see.

Thank you,all help will be thanked.

Sponsored Links
Why do you need the certificate? Are you moving house? If not then leave it. When you move house, on the Solicitors paperwork it will ask for a certificate, there is also a box next to it that says "The windows were installed before I originally moved in" Tick it.

Job done, no Fensa and no BC cert needed ;)

Thank you Mw Roofline for your rather devious reply :rolleyes: ,is that how you carry out your business ?.

Yes I am selling towards the end of this year and getting the property ready for sale.

I have lived here for 20 years and the 3 upvc windows frames are factory dated 07/02/2012. Easily visible by opening the window.

All I want to know is what will the BC person want to see when they visit.

Thank you.

Mw Roofline’s strategy is not that unusual and is effective if timelines allow it.

They may want to see proof from you that the windows are compliant so some paperwork stating their rating, which I would guess you don’t have. They may want to see that they have been installed correctly so some exposure around their perimeters may be required. They might stick their little glass meter on the window to check if its Low E glass. Then again they may pop out, have a glance and give you a certificate. The only way you’ll find out is to ask, I doubt they will be unfamiliar with the scenario as this must be fairly common, though you are entering a bit of a grey area so hard to know exactly what they will want/do.

Or you could just not bother, a buyer with a brain will not give a hoot, so that strategy rather depends on your buyer. Fensa is pretty pointless anyway.

If you end up not bothering with BC you are well beyond the time by which any prosecution could be made so don’t be talked into a pointless indemnity insurance if yours or your buyers solicitors try to sell you one (which would actually cost less than the approval) though if you have informed BC already that there is no approval then any indemnity you ended up taking out would not be honourable anyway, though your solicitor will not mention that little gem.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Freddysmercurystwin.

Very interesting info re indemnity insurance.

I have decided not to contact BC and I will just tell the truth on the law society form AT6 re windows,when I sell up.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back