3 red & black wires for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in the UK and I'm having issues with changing my bathroom light fitting as having fitted the new light it either doesn't switch off or doesn't switch on. I've tried various re-wiring routes and I'm at a lost as to what to do next. I've tried doubling and tripling up the same colored wires into the same socket, I've left some out and currently I've connected them individually to all the available sockets. By the way the house wiring is red, black & green so its red to brown and black to blue and green to earth and I have 3 wires for each which seems a bit excessive.

Can anyone help?[/img]

Sponsored Links
well you seam luckly not to have blown the fuse/ trip mcb.

You need to identify the switch wire.
This may have red tape over the black wire
or have two reds in the cable.

Then have a look at the WIKI on how to wire up.

You can also test for the switch wire with a meter.
Turn the power off, and test between each red/black pair.

The switch wire will be the cable with a dead short (beep) when the switch is ON and nothing when turned off.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful responses. Just checked wires. There's no obvious indications with the wires which are all from 3 separate cables.I don't have a meter tester so is there another way?

Otherwise I'll take a look at Wiki & the other link.

Sponsored Links
Why is it so many people change light fittings without noting where wires went on the old fitting?

This question seem to be asked every other day on these forums.

All three reds go into a connector block on their own. They do not connect to anything else.

All earths go together connected to earth on your light.

You are left with three blacks.

Can you remmember of 2 of them were twisted together? If so, those go to neutral on your light. The other black goes to the live on your light.

If that doesnt work, you just need to swop the blacks around until you get a working combination./ Note: incorrecvt combinations may cause
1. the fuse to blow
and/or
2. other lights in the house will not work.

When you have the correct combination, the black that is on its own (connected to live on your lamp) should be marked with red sleeving or tape.

PLEASE remember to turn off the power before puting your pinkies in the wiring :eek:

I have 3 wires for each which seems a bit excessive.

if you think that's excessive, you could always turn the power off and try one of these

290px-Candle_flame_%281%29.jpg

Can anyone help?

an electrician?

on a serious note, you really need to read up on the wiki and also buy yourself a multimeter for about a tenner ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back