3 types of wall in one room - board or skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After some help from the building forum I have split a room with a stud partition.

I now have in both rooms, 1 new stud wall, 2 walls with old bumpy plaster, 1 wall that was covered in ply. Under the ply I have found what seems to be very old PB or cement board. There was only ply above where the door frame is now, so will def need some pb in there.

I was going to wallpaper but now the missues (who is due this weekend) has decided that she would prefer it just painted and does not think lining paper will be good enough.

So, firstly, what should I do?:

1. Skim the whole lot (as a newbie could I do it myself?)
2. PB the other 3 walls and Easyfil the joints
3. PB the wall that had ply on it (the one with a door hole), Easyfil this and the new stud wall. Skim the other 2 walls.
3. Just use lining paper

Secondly, the ceiling is lath and plaster. I understand I should not tear this down. So, should I:

1. Just re-wallpaper
2. PB and skim
3. PB and Easyfil

Time is obviously an issue but as long as all was left was to paint it that should be OK (i.e. if skim had been done but had to wait to dry).

Thanks,
Jim

P.S. Yeah, I know the door frame needs some work!

Old plaster walls:

Door hole wall was covered in ply:

Other room corner with new stud and old plaster (think the odd colour and sticky area is leeching from the chimney but not sure):

Sponsored Links
if the misses wants a good finish for painting :( then just get a pro in to skim all the walls..it will be done in quick time and proberly in the long run save you money.
if you want any advice just ask im in the midlands ;)
phil

depends on budget really i think, you could spend considerable time filling and sanding and papering and still end up with less than ideal results, insideout is right a pro would be in and out of there in a couple of days, room completely skimmed for around £350-£400 inc. materials.

PB the ceiling and skim it, this is quicker than easy fill and no sanding involved, you wanna keep dust to a minimum really and what you are planning is enough dust without rubbing back easyfil.

Get it skimmed now if you can afford too, it's the best way, once you put paper onto plasterboard you wont be able to skim onto it.

This room looks quite small, if you were to board the ceiling then skimming it is an easy days work for an experienced spread and materials shouldnt cost a fortune, or have a crack yourself!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks all for the advice, based on this I had a spread around today.

After tapping on the walls he thinks quite a lot of the existing plaster is "hollow" (not bonded well to the wall I understood it to mean). He gave two options, either take all the old stuff off and start from scratch or board and skim. He said if he just skimmed what was there it would crack. In the end he thought boarding would be best.

He quoted £450 for the labour (2 men for 2 days) and it would cost me another £200 for the materials. This is to board and skim both rooms (inc. the ceiling) - they are both identical rooms as the one big room was split down the middle.

Does this plan and the cost seem OK?

Cheers,
Jim

Price seems competetive, can you eleborate on what is meant by 'board' will he be dabbing over the old blown plaster, if so, that isnt a great idea, or are they going to batten and board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back