3 way coupler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced a section of pipe which serves as a feed for the shower (hot water), the pipe and couplers were all corroded up from a leak. All went fine apart from when I was fitting the new 3 way coupler which is a 15mm on one side and 22mm straight thru. On the 22mm run side connecting to the old 22mm pipe the olive fitted to the coupler was oddly quiet a loose fit hence it's now proving to be quite hard to stop water leaking. I've tried packing the join with ptfe tape twice and as a last resort I'm now doing to reassemble but this time pack as much tape under the olive as I can.

Any words of wisdom would be great. See attachment.

20160118_155639.jpg

Sponsored Links
I see my stalker is making up stories again.

Sponsored Links
At a guess the down pipe is Imperial 3/4 inch pipe, you can get 3/4 inch olives ( or Green Rings) from a Plumbing Merchant or B& Q
These should fit a 22 mill fitting, if not a speed fit push fitting 22 mill will take 3/4 inch pipe.

Okay I've unscrewed the coupler from the old pipe and the olive is nice and snug and I'd have trouble getting it off with my hand but it does move a bit though no way as loose as before. Going to give it a go and if no joy it sounds like the push fit coupler may be the way to go. Such a shame if I have to as all the other joins are fine.

Just checked with my slide caliper and yep it's 22mm!!

That olive was definitely a wee bit looser than was healthy, ah well.

Sounds about right.

And FFS take all that PTFE off - it does nothing despite what idiot moderators on here might think.

ptfe has got to go on the thread correct? About 10 turns?

Many people suggest putting 5 turns around olives as well.

Did find putting on the ptfe tape to be time consuming, any worthwhile alternatives?

The PTFE goes around the olive, not the thread.
It's the olive that does the sealing.

The threads just allow the nut to be turned, in turn transferring the force onto the olive, deforming it and making the seal against the body of the fitting.

If the olive is still loose try using Copper Olives instead of brass they are softer and will compress onto the pipework better, I never use PTFE tape for olives, a smidgen of silicon wiped around the olive and thread is as good as PTFE tape.

No joy :(

Thanks for your suggestion Bosswhite, think I will give the copper olives a go. If that fails its a speedfit tee for me.

if not a speed fit push fitting 22 mill will take 3/4 inch pipe.

No it wont;). Trust me, I once made that mistake when I used to subcontract for bg. Joint lasted a few days then It made a right mess of the ceiling.

Speed fit do sell 22 to 3/4 adapters for this purpose I think

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back