3 way coupler leaking

Sponsored Links
As Jedi mentions, if you can solder then pop a soldered Tee in there, if not:
  • Dismantle the joint
  • Get all the PTFE off the threads and olives, that much tape on the threads could be stopping the nut tightening properly to compress the olive sufficiently, it's not needed especially on a new Tee
  • Get a new copper olive and replace the one that's overly loose
  • Now the olives have been used, I'd use little gas tape (it's a bit thicker), 2 turns around just the olives, extending beyond the edges of the olive slightly
  • Re-do the connection and tighten

Okay got to the bottom of my problems.

The old but still good section of pipe I was connecting to using the tee was actually smaller, a smidgen over 21mm by my caliper. Hence the blasted tee continually leaking on one side no matter what I did.

I falsely made the assumption that it couldn't be 3/4 inch as that would be 19.1mm but I'm wondering if in the old days 3/4in was the internal diameter and 22mm pipe is external diameter in today's money?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back