3-Way Dimmer Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me. I have replaced my hall lights and would like to be able to dim them. The problem is that the hall lights are controlled by 3 switches and I cannot find any 3-way dimmer switches. Does anyone know where I can get these or a way or getting aroud this problem? :(

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician but I think you will find that your 3 way switching is made up of 2 2 way switches and an intermediate switch. I would imagine you could replace one of the 2 ways with a 2 way dimmer. As I say, I am not an electrician so get this verified first!

to be technical about it. the number of switches is called "gang" and the number of "ways" is called ways (only one or two way or intermediate)

so the switch you have is called 3 gang 2 way (2 way because you can turn the landing light off from upstairs and downstairs, so rather than have one two way and two one way switches all are 2 way.)

Sponsored Links
:D

You were spot on Ant. I was unlucky enough to remove the centre switch which was a 2 2way one. I have now installed the dimmer on one of the other switches which is just a 2way and it works....

Thanks....

Glad you got it sorted.
I presume you mean you had initially removed the intermediate switch and not a 2 way switch. The "2 2way switches" I put in my original post referred to the fact that you have two switches that are 2 way and one intermediate switch on a 3 way lighting circuit.

Is there such a switch as a 'intermediate dimmer'? and what would be the point in having one when the're used in conjuction with at least two 2way switches when anyone of them can be dimmers.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think I have seen a dimmer that stated it could be wired as an intermediate switch. Perhaps the only advantage would be in being able to position the switch in any of the 3 positions and not just in place of a 2 way - an advantage if dealing with existing wiring perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back