3 way dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to replace a wall switch, contolling 3 switches (is this called a 3 gang?) with dimmer switches. 2 of the switches are 2 way (i.e. controlled on 2 walls) and 1 is one way (just the one switch for the light). Firstly, can anyone let me know where I can get a 3 way dimmer, as they are not easy to find. I have been instructed by the 'Missus' to get the brass Georgian style, but its not easy. Also, will there be a problem with them being 2 way switches. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Most decent electrical wholesalers should be able to supply a 3 gang dimmer, but they tend to be double the size of a normal switch plate (same size as a double socket)

Many thanks. Most outlets in my area seem to only sell up to 2 dimmers, but at least I know to keep looking. Do I need to specify that one of the switches is 2 way, or will the dimmer be able to cope as standard.

Sponsored Links
After advice from Jimmy and AttM, I found the dimmers. They were correct type, as in 3 gang, 2 way, but when I looked at them at the retailers, they had marked on 'low voltage only' and something like 'not for use on ring (or loop - can't remember) circuit'. So now theres something else to get confused about. Its normal lighting in a house, so can I use the above. Any help appreciated, before the sparks fly!

This can get very confusing so ask your retailer for advice. By definition (in the regs) 230V is defined as low voltage, but not all manufactures seem to have read these regs!!
The "not for use etc.." could mean that its not designed to carry the full lighting circuit load (for all the lights), or that it doesnt have enough connections for a loop circuit, or numerous other things.

Again get advice from the retailer, or get a local sparky involved.

Many thanks for your comments. At least I know what to be asking the retailer, so your help is most appreciated. Hopefully I'll have these done sometime before next Christmas!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back