Dimmer switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New to this but just moved home and seem to have the same problem in 2 rooms with the same set-up.
In my dining room there is a centre ceiling lamp and 2 wall lights. The ceiling lamp is controlled via a 1 gang 2 way switch at one end of the room and also by a 2 gang 2 way dimmer at the other end - this works fine and the light can be dimmed.
However the wall lights run to the same 2 gang 2 way dimmer but can switch on and off but won't dim (and buzz really loudly in the process). These do not run to or from the 1 way switch and can only be controlled at the dimmer.
Would the problem here be that the wall lights are single way connected to a 2 way switch?
I also have the same issue in the living room with an identical set-up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Can't see what's going on.

Possibly one dimmer being supplied with the output of the other?

But what I can see makes all of your functional problems unimportant.

You've got a metal switch with no earth connection, and the earth core of at least one cable being used for live.

I strongly advise calling an electrician now.

Thanks Sheds,
I am looking to replace the dimmer with a double rocker switch anyway now (after the wife said she hated dimmers) so would this give me the opportunity to rectify this?
Edit - 24/08 1346
Just noticed that the sleeved earth is connected to the rear side of the metal backbox...
Also found a MI for the switch and it seems to suggest that the terminals numbered 1,2 & 3 should be 1 - C, 2 - N and 3 - E... Never seen this numbering system before (having changed many switches and pendants in my old house (which ironically was newer than this old cottage).

Thanks to you Sheds, I looked at the earths. Disconnected the whole thing (after switching the whole house power off - of course) and reconnected it earthing it properly to a metal clip on the face plate so not having the earth core as a live and hey presto - two sets of dimmable lights.
However the wife still doesn't like it so will be replacing the switch with a standard rocker tomorrow.

Cheers very much - it's amazing when you get another view on things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back