2 dimmer switches controlling one light- is it possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm definitely not an electrican and could really do with some help on what is probably a very basic question!!

I've just had a rewire and am looking to replace the white sockets fitted with chrome ones, when doing this I had also hoped to add a dimmer to my stairwell light but I'm a bit confused what to buy..

The switch at the top of the stairs current has two rockers on it: 1 of the rocker switches controls the stair light (which is also controlled by one of a 3 gang rocker in the kitchen). The other rocker switch controls the hallway light (which is also controlled by a 1 gang 2 way dimmer switch near the bedroom). I would like to be able to dim the stair well light, whereas at the moment with this set up I can only dim the hallway light.

I was wondering.. can I just replace the 2 gang rocker at the top of the stairs with a 2 way 2 gang dimmer switch? This would of course mean my hall light therefore had a dimmer on either end- so I guess my question really is- is this possible?

If not can I buy a 2 gang 2 way socket which has both a dimmer (for the stairs) and rocker (for the hall) to remedy this.. I'm currently looking at the LAP brushed chrome screwless range on Screwfix but can't see any switches with both a dimmer and rocker control together on the same panel..

Or finally.. is it easiest if I replace the 1 gang current dimmer controlling the hall light with a normal 1 gang rocker and then swap the 2 gang rocker at the top of the stairs for a two gang dimmer?

Sorry if I've made a mountain out of molehill with this question!! very grateful for any help! I did try and answer this myself by googling it but confused with discussions of masters and slaves etc which I don't understand!

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Sponsored Links
You must be insane to put a dimmer switch in the hallway/landing area.
But if you insist - two dimmers cannot work on the same lamp unless they are specifically made to do so and operate under a 2 way master slave combination.
I don't think LAP make a master/slave combination.

Ha ha yes I probably am insane but plodding around the stairs and hall way at night with young sleepy children makes a dimmer ideal save waking them up with the big bright light!

The two way master slave combination- is this a set up in the wiring or the switches? if it's the switches then can you help me with what it is I would need therefore need to buy for this set up..

or can I just replace the 1 gang current dimmer controlling the hall light with a normal 1 gang rocker and then swap the 2 gang rocker at the top of the stairs for a two gang dimmer? is this the easiest given the LAP options?!

Many thanks in advance!

The two way master slave combination- is this a set up in the wiring or the switches? if it's the switches then can you help me with what it is I would need therefore need to buy for this set up..
Some dimmer manufacturers such as varilight sell both a master dimmer unit and a separate slave dimmer unit like..
http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-2-gang-multi-way-touch-dimming-slave-dimmer/34138
You would need one dimmer downstairs master and one dimmer upstairs slave. Or vice versa.
or can I just replace the 1 gang current dimmer controlling the hall light with a normal 1 gang rocker and then swap the 2 gang rocker at the top of the stairs for a two gang dimmer? is this the easiest given the LAP options?!

Many thanks in advance!
Yes you can provided the 1 gang rocker and the 2 gang dimmer are both 2 way.
Look on wiki here;
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:adddimmer
Its a bit fuzzy you should get the picture

Sponsored Links
There are also grid switches where you can combine many different items together which would allow a dimmer and normal switch both in same unit.

I have by accident got some 8W globe bulbs for my living room which have a soft start and I have found these do not wake my wife sleeping on the chair. There are many of the so called energy saving bulbs, tubes, lamps which have a slow start. Many complain about the slow start but in your case it may be to your advantage.

There are also dimmer bulbs which are controlled with a standard switch but never used one just know they exist.

Or finally.. is it easiest if I replace the 1 gang current dimmer controlling the hall light with a normal 1 gang rocker and then swap the 2 gang rocker at the top of the stairs for a two gang dimmer?

This, of course is easiest.......and very straightforward :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back