3 way diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i could do with a little help pls.Can anyone tell me how to check the wiring on a diverter valve as i want to check if it has the right signals be for i condemn the diverter valve.the problem i have is that if i turn either the hot water/central heating on they both get hot.I think it is more likely to be the valve but im going to check as i dont want to spend £50 and find out its not that,many thanks.jim.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, just dropped my crystal ball, what make and model of valve is it, and did the system work once? It probably doesn't matter as you have either heating or water going in, and pump boiler coming out.

Take the lid off and see if the `lectric motor is turning.....you can buy them separate for £15.00 or so :)

Nige F said:
Take the lid off and see if the `lectric motor is turning.....you can buy them separate for £15.00 or so :)

£15!!!! Where from?????? :eek:

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to take any lids off to see if your valve motor is doing its stuff. Look for a small lever sticking out of the side of the thing. This is a manual override lever and it's used to put the valve in mid-position for bleeding the system. Once you find it check that it hasn't been left in the override position!

Assuming that it wasn't, start with the whole system off (no power) and try moving the lever. It should move slowly against a spring and you will hear the motor spinning inside. When you let go it should return to its starting point within a few seconds.

Now put power back on and select hot water only. The valve should do nothing because it rests in the HW position. Next select CH as well and turn up the room thermostat. The motor should drive the valve to mid-position. You can use the lever to check this. It will go slack as the motor does the work and you can follow the movement of the valve with it. Finally, if you have the option, select CH only. This should drive the valve all the way over. The boiler will go out while this happens but restart when the valve reaches the end of its travel.

That's a typical working three port valve in action. Somewhere along the line you will find that yours doesn't do what it should. Let us know how you get on.

the problem is the valve is letting bye and will most proberly need replaceing

If its a honeywell valve you should normally only need to change the ball and plate...a lot less than 50.00

Hi everyone thanks for the advice checked the valve out,found to be seized,looked on ebay for new one.Bought a new honeywel one for £21 should work when i fit it,many thanks,jim. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back