3-way spot light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a metallic 3-way spot to replace a standard bedroom light fitting. The spot requires an earth connection which is not present in the old fitting. Can I safely run an earth wire from say a copper pipe in the roof-space to the fitting as an earth supply.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
what do you mean by existing fitting hasn't got an earth?

Do u mean that there is only a brown and blue conductor going to the pendant from the rose?

Yes, there are only two wires coming from the rose.....the red(live) and blue(neutral) wires.

OK sorry to be a pain here.

Have u opened the rose and checked whether there is an Earth terminal in there?

If there is bingo.If not how old is your wiring?

Sponsored Links
Sorry there's no earth terminal in the rose. I have traced the wires leading to the rose in the roof-space(its an upstairs bedroom) and there is no sign of an earth. Thats why I was wondering if I could take an earth wire from say a copper water pipe in the roof-space to the rose.
Many thanks again.

EVEN IF THE WIRING IN YOUR HOUSE IS VERY OLD THERE SHOULD BE AN EARTH WIRE WITHIN THE CABLES RUNNING TO YOUR CIELING ROSE. TRY STRIPPING SOME OF THE OUTER INSULATION BACK. IF THERE IS JUST CONNECT TO IT USING A NEW PIECE OF EARTH WIRE AND A CONNECTOR BLOCK. IF THERE IS NO SIGN OF AN EARTH ANYWHERE THEN YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO CONSIDER HAVING YOUR HOUSE REWIRED.

AS Deano suggests, you will have to rewire sometime. I would suggest you check your sockets are earthed as this is essential!
Unfortunately lighting wiring I come across often is two core pvc despite twin and earth being available at time of original wiring.
Consequently after a few additions by houseowner I find earth wires not connected as twin and earth is used to extend twin cable!
Providing whole house is protected by 30mA ELCB you are relatively safe from electrocution. Using copper pipe as an earth is incorrect. You should earth copper pipe but not rely on it for an earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back