No earth in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace my existing light fitting in the bedroom ceiling with a Kuba mains voltage halogen 4 spot unit made by Ring of Leeds and bought from Focus DIY. The instructions with the halogen unit say the appliance must be earthed but there is no earth wire sticking out of the hole in the ceiling. Its a flat roof so cannot fit an earth. There are three wires coming out of the ceiling and two are bound together. Will I have to take the light back and replaced it with a unit requiring no earth? I rang Focus DIY who said I should screw the earth lead from the light into a joist - can this be right?

Sponsored Links
Deffinently do notscrew the earth into a joist. if your extension is fairly new there will be an earth. it has probably been cut off. strip back the outer (grey or white) sheath for the cables you should find a bare wire that is the earth.

BobN said:
I'm trying to replace my existing light fitting in the bedroom ceiling with a Kuba mains voltage halogen 4 spot unit made by Ring of Leeds and bought from Focus DIY. The instructions with the halogen unit say the appliance must be earthed but there is no earth wire sticking out of the hole in the ceiling. Its a flat roof so cannot fit an earth. There are three wires coming out of the ceiling and two are bound together. Will I have to take the light back and replaced it with a unit requiring no earth? I rang Focus DIY who said I should screw the earth lead from the light into a joist - can this be right?

Did you try out breezer's tip. I have the same problem as you and have two very expensive lights sitting there since January, while I am trying to figure out how to connect them

RBH, does that mean your lights are still sitting in the corner?

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
RBH, does that mean your lights are still sitting in the corner?

Not quite in a corner, they are not that badly behaved yet. They are still sitting cozy in their boxes. but if they don't smarten up will be back to the shop

I have only ever connected new lights with two wires, and these things have an additional earth wire on the fixing and another earth wire attached to the metal casing. what a palaver

By the way someone also recommended I join the earth wires to the joists. good job I din't try that one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back