no earth to ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to install a new metal 4 halogen light unit in my bedroom ceiling. The instructions suggest I wire the appropriate cables coming from the ceiling to the new light via a supplied 3-way box. Unfortunately there is no earth coming from the ceiling (only a live and neutral). Is the 'EARTH' really needed? If I wire it up with no earth could the metal casing become live??

Sponsored Links
no live it wont work, and yes itting could become liv, try serching the forums, been asked before

rwgb said:
Is the 'live' really needed? If I wire it up with no earth could the metal casing become live??

Surely this is a windup. The live is not needed if you get a solar panel to produce 230V and send it to the light via a remote control.

rwgb said:
Unfortunately there is no earth coming from the ceiling (only a live and neutral).
Have a closer look - it is possible that some previous miscreant has just cut it back, and that if there's some slack cable you could strip some more sheath and get access to it. Then, of course, you'd need to check that it was actually connected to earth...

Is the 'live' really needed??
If you don't connect the live you need no longer worry about the lack of earth...

Sponsored Links
you have to bear in mind this is a diy forum, some people have no idea what so ever, then again he may have typed EARTH but spelt it L I V E

I was attempting to make the wording as clear as possible and go and make a howler like that, sorry for the confusion.
On a serious note though, there is no cable stripped back or hiding behind the ceiling.
However, the bracket supporting the new fitting is screwed into the joist - would this not earth the new fitting??

rwgb said:
However, the bracket supporting the new fitting is screwed into the joist - would this not earth the new fitting??

I suppose if the wood was conductive enough and a cable run from the joist to the cu then it might

pdcelec said:
rwgb said:

I suppose if the wood was conductive enough and a cable run from the joist to the cu then it might

Ask a silly question...get a silly answer :LOL: :LOL:

OK - simple summary

1) If your lighting circuit has no earth, then you cannot use any light fittings that require one.

2) If your lighting circuit has no earth, then you cannot use any metal light switches or dimmers.

3) If your lighting circuit has no earth, then it might be old, and it might be an idea to have the whole of your installation checked by an electrician.

rwgb said:
the bracket supporting the new fitting is screwed into the joist - would this not earth the new fitting??

if you think that will work, you need to leave all electrical work to someone who knows wood does not conduct electricity

rwgb, since you said
rwgb said:
the bracket supporting the new fitting is screwed into the joist - would this not earth the new fitting??
i am sorry to say this shows you complete lack of understanding of the job in question, i suggest you get a qualified electrician on to check the whole of the installation

I'm thinking of running a fan heater in my bathroom. However, the floor has just been tiled, and I cannot run any cables to the required spot. But there is a Hot & Cold feed nearby for the basin.

Can I wire up the pipes to the mains outside the bathroom, and tap off them inside the bathroom for the heater? I guess logic tells me I should wire the HOT pipe to Live and the Cold to Neutral.

Then I can pick up an earth off the studwork. Is this OK, Ban?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back