3 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fully functional three way circuit using one intermediate - no problem. I want to add another intermediate into the circuit to control the set of lights from another location.

My tame electrician said just put the new intermediate in parallel with the existing one pole for pole and it'll be ok. err no.

Could anybody supply a wiring diagram for a two way with two intermediates.

It may be that the advice was correct and it's revealed an existing problem, but checking it all out, I don't think so in this case.

Anybody's help would be gratefully received. :confused:

split from hi-jacked 2 year old post

Sponsored Links
To have as many switches as you want. Take the 3-way switch diagram that was referred to, and keep adding intermediate switches wired like the middle one of the three in the illustration. As explained -these cross or un-cross the roles of the strappers L1 and L2 in the circuit (shown blue-yellow in the figure and black in the circuit diagram), with red link wire to the ends. Note that the assignment of the colours to a particular terminal are not really standardised.
hope that helps
regards M.
Note some countries (like France for example) don't do this at all but use all momentary push button switches, operating a relay bistable circuit, sometimes with a time-out. Your electrician may have thought you meant one of these.
M.

So obvious now you say it! Add the new switches in series not in parallel.

Many thanks for clearing the fog of stupidity!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back