3 wire circuit to new 2 wire LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm looking to replace my current conventional downlights with new LED units. However, the new units only have provision for two wires going into the junction box supplying power to the LED driver. On the old light fitting there was provision for the earth to be connected to the metal body of the light fixture - there's no such provision on the LED.

My question is pretty simple - what do I do about the earth? Do i drill a small hole in the body of the cage around the LED and fix the earth to this? Replace the choc-block inside the junction box with a three-wire item and terminate the earth there? Run the earth somewhere else?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Does the new light fitting require an earth connection, as some don,t and they should not be connected to earth. But do not cut back the earth as it maybe required on future replacements. If you can connect in to a small connector block and leave it safe, ideally within the enclosure, so the option of a three point terminal would be ideal, with the earth not connected to the light fitting.

Thanks PrenticeBoy - this is what I thought but just wanted some confirmation. The LEDs were purchased from a reputable lighting retailer and the units are two-wire all the way through so now need for an earth.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sorry for late reply, didn't notice your response.
They are likely to be double insulated/class II fittings then.
This would be identified on the fitting, with a square within a square symbol,

This would then mean no earth is required, I would still run an earth though just in case it is required and any replacement fittings.
The earth can be terminated safely and left for another day

Back