30 spotlights 1 dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to put lights in either side of the treads on my stairs in my house with 3 at each side of the landing,

I have the spots already but was wondering if I can run them all from 1 dimmable switch ?

Are there any potential safety issues with this, will I need transformers ect,

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Need way more info..

What sort of spotlights are these?
GU10? MR16? LED? R60? another type?????????

what is the wattage of each?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.......... they are GU10 50w 230v Spots,

I can appreciate that these would be bright for the stairs hence the dimmer option.

Cheers,

I have the spots already but was wondering if I can run them all from 1 dimmable switch ?
Let's see - are they dimmable, or are they not.....

Do the 30 of them add up to 30W, or 3,000W?

crystalball.jpg

Are there any potential safety issues with this, will I need transformers ect,
The potential safety issue implied by this question is possibly a life or death one.

You've already got these lights, but you have no idea what voltage they need to work?

Please call an electrician.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.......... they are GU10 50w 230v Spots,
will I need transformers
FGS....

I can appreciate that these would be bright for the stairs hence the dimmer option.
1.5kW of lighting on the stairs? You're raving mad.

No they can't go on one dimmer switch, and they couldn't be dimmed enough anyway...

Ban-All Sheds

I got the details from the boxes that are sat in front of me ?? I may be "raving mad" but I can read mate !!

Yes they do say 230v on the front they are from Wickes, as the box reads it says "10 dimmable mains halogen round fixed downlights 10 x GU10 50w 230v" .

So yes they are dimmable (didnt make that clear, sorry).

From your reply it seems to be too much lighting, would it be ok to go every other tread, OR do you know a better way of doing it ??

I was hoping to get sufficient advice from this forum so I could learn something, not nessicarily do the job myself, but at least find out if I had bought the right lights (They were on offer so thought I'd snap them up as they can always go back).

Cheers,

With all due disrespect I have quite a large four-story house, which is very well lit, generally, sometimes almost over-lit. And it has 1kW of lighting, wait for it, for the WHOLE house!

Now, where there are some rooms that need lots of lighting, kitchen and bathroom to be precise, most areas need far less than this.

1.5kW of lighting for your stair treads is both unnecessary and dangerous, for one thing there will be, wait for it, 1.5kW of heat generated by the lamps, not only will this be dangerous if the lamps are placed too close to the stairs, but will also make the stair-well very hot not too mention the burn risk, ect.

You clearly are not quite as raving mad as you sound, as you want to dim the blinding lights, however here you fail once more, whilst dimmers are available for this kind of load as far as I am aware they won't fit a normal plate outlet.

A simple solution, rather than disregarding the advice you are being given, would be to fit something like LED lighting, well not you, but an electrician. And yes, these may need a transformer, and some are dimmable too!

Please take them back.

These lamps are totally unsuited to your proposed use and they do pose a fire risk.

Quite apart from that are you sure you're ready for the dawn raid by the style police?

Apart from the obvious fire risk of installing this design of light fitting in a flammable material have you considered the effect on the structural integrity of the stairs of drilling 30 - 85mm holes.

LED lights are more suitable for this use. The lights you have bought have little mechanical protection against kicks and the hoover, and ar designed for use ina ceiling.

You have bought the wrong type of fittings for the job.

30 lights, 50watt. 1500watts in total. An average domestic dimmer can dim 400watt. Some larger ones can dimm 800 or even a 1000watt. Get the picture?

Hello,

Thanks for the replys, I will take them back tout suite, I have had a nosey about on the web and found these, http://www.eyeleds.com Im guessing that these are more appropriate, any tradesmen out there used these ?

If so what are they priced like as cant find any prices on the web ?

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back